USAAF Stripes

littlebuddy

Very nice Carl. As I recall these were technically "unofficial" but quite widely worn nevertheless. I have a USAAF EMs service coat with similar ones on it.

Thanks Ian , for the input !! i havnt found much on these myself , was hoping someone on here could help ???

LB

Thanks again Tex !! :) was the winged prop just to differentiate between the army and the army airforce then ??

LB

Thanks again Tex !! :) was the winged prop just to differentiate between the army and the army airforce then ??

LB

Yes! You will also see chevrons with medical devices, signal flags, and etc.

oh right Tex i havnt seen any like those you mentioned !! i must keep a lookout !!

LB

These were called "Branch of Service Chevrons". Air Corps were the most often seen. A good description is in Emerson's book "Chevrons".

craig_pickrall

Here are 3 photos of them in use. The photos are from LIFE Magazine. The 1st one is from 11/30/1942 and the other 2 are from 12/15/1941.

post-5-0-01303100-1376349413.jpg

post-5-0-19267100-1376349423.jpg

post-5-0-14874100-1376349435.jpg

• 7 months later...

Here's a group foto of Troops of the 102nd Observation Squadron New York National Guard at Fort McClellan (Federalized October 1940 from the NYC area, at Miller Field Staten Island) circa late summer 1941, note the man second row second on the right, he's wearing the Sergeant Wing/Prop stripes on Khaki, his brother Noncom a Staff Sergeant were's the Silver/White on Black version or is it the early two rocker 1st Sergeant stripes, 1st Sergeant stripes right?

post-34986-0-06419600-1397276267.jpg

Alas they all couldn't be heroes, and this unit would not go overseas in WWII, it would remain stateside for nearly the duration. They did their duty as they moved around a bit, as it was intially assigned to VII Corps at McClellan, than after Pearl Harbor Day would be sent to Southern California, Los Angeles, where it flew Anti-Shipping patrols, then on to assignment with the 3rd Air Force in late 1942, Camp Hood? where it became a Training unit, and trained with ground troops at Camp Hood and Camp Polk, probably conducted aerial observation during maneuvers, particularly for the Tank Destroyer Center at Hood.

Back to So Cal to the Desert Training Center near Indio, where it again did Tactical Training with ground troops, it was here the unit was disbanded in April 1944, it's personel after this point no doubt being sent overseas as indivdual replacments for other Observation Squadrons, or other Flying units.

Another sighting of the type, 102nd Obs Sq formely NYNG, again down South same period August 1941.

This time we know it's a Tech Sgt with Wing Prop, second row center behind the officer in his khakis, strange note the civilian caps alot of these fellows are wearing. As a side offing, what is that Airplane?

post-34986-0-37777700-1397447409.jpg

...what is that Airplane?

attachicon.gifphpSRydhbPM.jpg

It looks like a North American AT-6A, the ubiquitous "Texan" which still flies today.

Here is another scene from the 102nd Observation Squadron photo archives showing AT-6A (serial no. 41-435) at Ft. McClellan ca. March 1941 after disembarking a very important passenger who is being helped into his coat by the crew chief while the pilot stands by to hand over the general's spectacles and raincoat.

post-1963-0-52573400-1397468941.jpg

It looks like a North American AT-6A, the ubiquitous "Texan" which still flies today.

Here is another scene from the 102nd Observation Squadron photo archives showing AT-6A (serial no. 41-435) at Ft. McClellan ca. March 1941 after disembarking a very important passenger who is being helped into his coat by the crew chief while the pilot stands by to hand over the general's spectacles and raincoat.

attachicon.gifAT-6A 41-435.jpg

Great photo Wailuna, thank's for the ship ID. Check out Marshall's aide, I guess his aide, he's under arms, note the pistol belt and 1st aid pouch.

Another observation I forgot to add in that last group photo, is that that T/Sgt is wearing his rank on his coveralls, something seen, but somewhat uncommon.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Justin B. said:

Well you've got to expect, a Hollywood  actor can't have just plain old stripes.

Did I miss something Justin?

Yeah I did, damn if it isn't Jackie Coogan, just now recognizing the face 1879362757_emoticonsmile.png.4ad08ebe4cabb65fdb2802babd179eae.png947166744_emoticonlaugh.png.491ad2c23a0440383d3cb39916ac21a5.png

• 1 year later...

A Sergeant Wing Prop a 1942 portrait of one Sator S. Sanchez, Sanchez a Pre War Soldier, would go to aircrew school after this, and by early 1945 as a Staff Sergeant is KIA on a mission over Germany March 15, 1945 with the  353rd Bombardment Squadron 301st Bombardment Group (Heavy) 15th Air Force Italy.

iiuoo.jpg