U.S. Army Europe; Berlin Command

36-tex

Very nice 36-tex, and very informative. I have a question. What is the difference between a patch with a Berlin tab versus a patch with a Berlin District tab? From my collection. Cut edge, black backed. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-57980300-1376243709.jpg

post-12790-0-05689000-1376243721.jpg

Very nice 36-tex, and very informative. I have a question. What is the difference between a patch with a Berlin tab versus a patch with a Berlin District tab? From my collection. Cut edge, black backed. Thanks, Al.

Al, Not sure I can answer that with any factual information. Lets hope someone can. I also have a couple "Berlin District" patches. I have a Berlin District tab (blue on gold/yellow) and am not sure what that goes above.

• 2 months later...

Mark,

The subdued Berlin patch in post # 7 is German made. When I was stationed in Berlin (86-90) The BDU's that were purchased at clothing and sales at McNair Barracks where the 502nd Infantry Regiment was stationed had these patches sewn on the BDUs, along with US ARMY tapes. It helped keep the cost down of having to sew on shoulder patches and US ARMY tapes that normally are issued. The individual Soldier was responsible for having their NAME tape sewn on and any special skill badges such as jump wings, EIB's etc. The skill badges were not mandatory, but almost everyone had them sewn on.

When a "parade uniform" faded out or tore, it was used as a "field uniform" and after the uniform was torn and not worth saving, I took all my insignia off to resue. If I recall, I had at least 15 sets of BDU's, at least 5 of those were parade uniforms (meaning they were not faded, torn). When I PCS'd I kept a few of my field uniforms with my Berlin pacthes on them and the rest went into my "I Love Me" box. I still have about 10-12 German Made Berlin patches.

Clothing and sales also sold the US manufactured Berlin Insignia in both color for Dress Greens and Subdued for the BDU's. It was not mandatory to purchase the BDU's with insignia sewn on, but the majority of Soldier's did purchase these uniform shirts. They were quite popular and they would sell out often.

When I get a chance I will take some pictures of the BDU's from Berlin with the US ARMY and German made Berlin SSI. I also have a German made color Berlin SSI that I will post..

Leigh

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Not sure, but believe the blue on yellow tab was used with the Constabulary SSI. Correct me if I am wrong.

This tab and the tab that looks like this and says "constabulary" do not go with the constabulary SSI.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Patch's suggested I add my swap meet find to this discussion, so here you are. This was in a box of patch's and I picked it up for a couple of bucks. These are not in my wheel house, but I can tell the tab was not US made and added to the patch.

DSC00420.JPG

DSC00421.JPG

• 2 weeks later...