UNKOWN SPEARHEAD POCKET PATCH

PATCHRAT

Need some help with a full ID for this great looking pocket patch. Its clearly related to the 3rd Armored Division, Most likely during it's time in Germany. It has a metal backing with three clutch backs. It got it in a lot of patches from E Bay a few years ago so other info on the previous owner.

post-1604-1208052752.jpg

post-1604-1208052763.jpg

Need some help with a full ID for this great looking pocket patch. Its clearly related to the 3rd Armored Division, Most likely during it's time in Germany. It has a metal backing with three clutch backs. It got it in a lot of patches from E Bay a few years ago so other info on the previous owner.

interresting one

i think i have read a long time ago an asmic article over this patch

ask dave (tredhead2) i think he knows more and can help out

regards

Proud Kraut

Tom,

Jürgen gave the right hint! There was an article in the Apr/Jun 2007 Trading Post, displaying and describing this patch donated to the US Army Transportation Museum by the wife of a retired Col. No declaration what unit and era but it seems to be exact the same patch. Hope this helps.

Lars

Now I need to find one of those patches for my 3rd Armored collection!

Here is a photo of a figurine I bought on eBay a few years ago. It is metal on a marble base and stands about 7-1/2 inches tall including the base. The visor pops open and a lighter is inside.

The shield bears the inscription SPEARHEAD SQUIRE followed by an enameled 3AD emblme and that is followed by FRANKFURT GERMANY 1969. This has to be related to the patch.

I do not know who the "Squires" are. My first thought was a unit nickname, but now I wonder if it wasn't some sort of club or organization internal to the 3AD. I will check my references to see if the Squires are mentioned anywhere.

In the meantime, if you ever want to get rid of that patch......

Steve

post-9-1208103830.jpg

thanks to everyone who has responded. I seem to be missing my TP for APR JUN 07, but i'll get a copy. Steve B 's post sure puts a new spin on the possible ID of this patch/badge. I was in 3rd Armored from 88-91 and never heard of the Squires. If it was an organization with in the Division it may have been gone by my time.

I was in the 3rd Armored Division from 1975 to 1978 and never heard of the Squires, either.

I have e-mailed a couple of other 3AD collectors, and will look through some "yearbooks" I have from the 60s later today. (My wife says I have to mow the front lawn now).

Steve

DwightPruitt
I was in the 3rd Armored Division from 1975 to 1978 and never heard of the Squires, either.

I was in 1st Brigade, 3AD 78-80 and never heard of them.

I grew up in the 3AD, 1954-1959; and served with it in 1970. I never heard of the "Squires", either. Interesting - Frankfurt was the Div HQ; and location of DISCOM (Div Spt Cmd). Maybe it was a sports team, like the CCA/3AD Scorpions; or the CCB/3AD Warriors? Or maybe an "award", granted after something dangerous, like surviving 25 visits to Kaiser Strasse, lol!!! :D Anybody thought about going to the 3AD vets website and asking?

The construction of the "patch" is odd, as well. It appears to be cloth, glued to a steel sheet. There are clutch-back fasteners on the rear. Perhaps this was worn, as a blazer patch?

was the 3rd arm div in japan or other pacific operations?

because this patch looks like not the typical german manufacture

it looks japan or other mades?

its only a opinion because i dont know something about the history from the 3rd armored div

regards

The more I think about........ (on the patch) that looks more like SQUIRE 5. 5 (in those days) was the call sign for the XO. Could this have been the call sign for the division HQ or DISCOM?

Jurgen...... Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._3rd_Armored_Division

ahhhh europe , pacific, south east asia, china , middle east, medditeranean and africa

thank you hank for the link thumbsup.gif

I went through two divison "yearbooks" last night. One is from 1963 and the other from 1966 and neither one mentioned anything about Squires.

One of the 3AD collectors e-mailed me back, and although he has the same statuette/lighter I do, along with a couple of other Squire items, he doesn't know anything about them either.

One 3AD website shows nothing, and the other has at least one question, but so far no answers.

I'll keep looking though!

Steve

I just heard back from a man who was with the 45th Med Bn in Frankfurt in the mid-1960s, and he has no knowledge of the Squires, either.

The search continues.....

• 1 month later...
Johnny Signor

Hello Just a shot in the dark here,could it be an Aviation det of this unit,seeing how there's a cloud on the patch??? i know the amored units have aviation elements. Johnny Signor [email protected] oh yeah the name "Squires" vagely reminds me of a helo unit call sign.

If this thought was already mentioned, my apologies. It looks to me like an award presented by the unit to an individual. Sort of an outstanding soldier of the year type award.

Given the definition of Squire, a knight's aide or helper, and the obvious connection between knights and armour (tanks, etc) it would follow that this was some sort of award to someone that had helped or aided the division. Possibly a civilian employee or a dependent, someone who has supported the division but is not actually part of it. It may not have any connection with any one unit which would account for there being no reference in the yearbooks. Just a guess but you gotta admit is sounds logical.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

yes there are a few of these around. I have one, then there is one that you pointed out from the E bay auction on worth point, Mort saw one at the MAX Show and there is one that was the subject of an ASMIC TP article. I'm sure there are more.