Photographer helmet T-14

Paul Reijnders

Paul Reijnders

This helmet was for sale in Ursel - Wings and Wheels this weekend ( Belgium )

What do you guys think about it ? ( sorry not more pics )

Regards, Paul Reijnders

Paul Reijnders

Very strange to me it's a rear seam !! ( so far as I can see )

Regards, Paul Reijnders

The graphics look strange....photo-grapher is not usually split up like that. There would have been enough room to stencil it around the visor as one complete word. (Just an observation!)

photo-grapher is not usually split up like that.

Not a big helmet guy but that jumped right out too.

I've never seen a photographer wearing a helmet like that but like I said I'm not a helmet guy.

From the history of the Signal Corps in the ETO:

I'm not sure on the originality of the helmet in the pics. I've never seen a real one in person. It almost looks like there is a wash over the lettering. Having said that, if someone made it up they had some good references and some good skills in the workshop.

post-2064-0-25721400-1376262522.jpg

Not a fan of the stencil either. We know it's not this one, so there's about 99 'chances' left. Go figure.

I wonder what the marking on this woman's helmet is for?? Aerial recognition (seems a bit far-fetched)?

leemillerhelmet2_zps10d55f72.jpg

Not a fan of the stencil either. We know it's not this one, so there's about 99 'chances' left. Go figure.

I wonder what the marking on this woman's helmet is for?? Aerial recognition (seems a bit far-fetched)?

leemillerhelmet2_zps10d55f72.jpg

I think the stenciling is for artistic effect, possibly meant to look like the grill of a Knight's helmet visor. And of course this is the famous Lee Miller, ex-Vogue model turned War Correspondent. She's awesome.

I think the stenciling is for artistic effect, possibly meant to look like the grill of a Knight's helmet visor. And of course this is the famous Lee Miller, ex-Vogue model turned War Correspondent. She's awesome.

Thats exactly what i have always thought of that photo....mike

American Graffiti

Regarding the Lee Miller helmet, the 'Knight's face guard' painting was done by her husband Roland Penrose, who was a surrealist painter. The tromp l'oeil effect makes sense.

AG

looks like the front visor part is a bit bigger in height compare to the others it almost feels like its been made from two different M-1s cut up to make that one :blink:

Presumably these modifications were "hand-made", so to speak? Therefore, although they might follow the same basic pattern, no two would be exactly the same, which would explain the subtle differences in the visors.

Presumably these modifications were "hand-made", so to speak? Therefore, although they might follow the same basic pattern, no two would be exactly the same, which would explain the subtle differences in the visors.

The document above says 100 were made and sent to field units: wonder if each of those were hand made? It seems like it would have been faster to hand cut them rather than try to create custom tooling to do it.

I can envisage ordnance guys just taking a piece of chalk and marking out a visor on a donor M1 shell then cutting it off with a power tool before attaching it to the host shell.

It also looks like both original helmets shown in the thread referenced above http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51482

have slight differences; specifically with the washers used beneath the visor screw. Not to throw a monkey wrench in things, but in looking at the language in the document posted above and in the similar reference below, is it possible that "The Army Pictorial Service staff" had developed a helmet in the U.S. that was given the test designation "T-14" but that these helmets were few in number and unavailable in the supply system. Being aware of them and their general design, Ordnance in the ETO fabricated 100 helmets with materials on hand. It looks like it would take two standard shells to make one visored helmet.

post-2064-0-10069100-1376342514.jpg

• 2 years later...

Regarding the Lee Miller helmet, the 'Knight's face guard' painting was done by her husband Roland Penrose, who was a surrealist painter. The tromp l'oeil effect makes sense.

AG

Is there any documentation that verifies your claim? Not to say that I doubt it - it makes sense, but was Roland Penrose in the ETO with Lee Miller so he could paint it?

Is there any documentation that verifies your claim? Not to say that I doubt it - it makes sense, but was Roland Penrose in the ETO with Lee Miller so he could paint it?

i believe he was "teaching camouflage" during the war and it sounds accurate that he did and i believe they got married after the war. so i would believe it 100%

plus he worked with her quite a bit before they got married. a picture of her was one of his examples while teaching camouflage