Elvis and Fellow Discharge'ees, the Transitional EM Rank Period

patches

I do believe this photo of Elvis in the Army hasn't been posted yet, it show him and other men who are out proccessing and or about to be discharged from the Army in West Germany march 1960, we see a few Spec 4s here, and apparently wearing the old 1955 type rather than the new large type.

But of special note, is we see that while Elvis has the new proscribed Gold on Army Green Sergeant E-5 Grade chevrons, proscribed since a couple of years give or take back, his fellow NCO, also an E-5 wears the old style, after the wear out date of 31 December 1959 for the old types. Hard to tell the exact type as the photo is B/W, it could be the WWII Type of OD on Black wool, or a cut down OD on Blue Twill Sergeant rank insignia (the old Staff Sergeant insignia adopted for Sergeants in 1952)

post-34986-0-89611800-1376203463.jpg

Interesting to see the foul weather plasitic Cap Covers being used by a couple of them, Elvis doesn't have one, what? I thought he stoped at nothing to aquire all the best stuff :lol:

Well thanguverrimuch Sir! An interesting pic and observations Kevin. You've reminded me that somewhere in a box up in my attic I have an illustrated book about Elvis in the army which was compiled from private photos taken by guys who were in his unit, rather than the well publicized "official" PR shots we're all familiar with. It's been a while since I looked at it so I must try to locate it and see if there are any other such "gems" in there.

Well thanguverrimuch Sir! An interesting pic and observations Kevin. You've reminded me that somewhere in a box up in my attic I have an illustrated book about Elvis in the army which was compiled from private photos taken by guys who were in his unit, rather than the well publicized "official" PR shots we're all familiar with. It's been a while since I looked at it so I must try to locate it and see if there are any other such "gems" in there.

That sounds great, like a one of a kind book, yes please do post all the photos you deem worthy.

I do believe this photo of Elvis in the Army hasn't been posted yet, it show him and other men who are out proccessing and or about to be discharged from the Army in West Germany march 1960

attachicon.gif1960_march_5_army_discharge_408.jpg

Hey I don't think that's West Germany since there's typical 2 story wooden GI Barracks in the background. Elvis was discharged at Ft. Dix NJ according to the Army. http://www.history.army.mil/faq/elvis.htm

The other Sgt is named Rex Manfield.

This time pic link has more images of him in the snow

http://topics.time.com/new-jersey/pictures/

Your right there Line Dog, the description of the photo was given as being In West Germany, good looking out.

Here's the Discharge Photo Grouping you elluded to, I noticed Presley in a couple of photos IS wearing the plastic Service Cap Foul Weather Cover, but strange he's no longer wearing it in the Formation Photo, maybe a fan took it :lol:

http://life.time.com/culture/elvis-presley-life-photos-of-the-king-leaving-the-army-march-1960/#1