USMC pre-WW2 wooden handcart

robinb

At an antiques in the street fair this morning here in Oregon. Supposedly came out of storage in a local barn where it's been since 1974.

I've spent many hours searching the internet for a picture of this cart in use. The closest that I've found is vague at best. This picture was taken in 1914 in Vera Cruz. It shows a 2.95" Mountain Howitzer being used by Navy Landing Force troops. The only connection to my cart is the wheels appear to be the same width, heigth, and spoke count. At this point I can only assume that my cart was the ammo cart for this howitzer.

post-8903-1299048129.jpg

My plans are to replace the missing parts and put in a new floor, but not paint over the original USMC markings. It's only original once, right?

My plans are to replace the missing parts and put in a new floor, but not paint over the original USMC markings. It's only original once, right?

Absolutely right!! I love those original USMC markings and the wooden wheels. The best of luck on your restoration of a fine piece.

Steve

• 11 months later...

Well, it's been almost a year since I picked up this cart. I've done all that I think I should do to restore it.

MVC-095S.JPG

MVC-096S.JPG

MVC-097S.JPG

Robin, RIA manufactured Model 1902 3 inch cannon. Wheels look similar. I bet RIA manufactured ammo carts from this time period are what you are looking for. I will see if I have early records showing a USMC one manufactured.post-7194-0-34679000-1405918839.jpg

• 10 months later...

I finally found what I believe are two photos of this cart in use. 1927 in China. Sailors from the USS Pittsburg. Look closely at the details and I think I found a match. The other picture is too big to post unfortunately but it's the same boat load of sailors from a different angle. The cart is at the far right in the photo.

shanghaiboat.jpg

Well, the other photo that I have shows many more details, but I can't seem to get it to download. The file's too big.

US Victory Museum

I finally found what I believe are two photos of this cart in use. 1927 in China. Sailors from the USS Pittsburg. Look closely at the details and I think I found a match. The other picture is too big to post unfortunately but it's the same boat load of sailors from a different angle. The cart is at the far right in the photo.

It is not my intent to hijack your wagon post; however, it is with quite a bit of surprise that I note the number

of first pattern M1910 haversacks in the 1927 photograph of the sailors at Shanghai.

P.S.

A wonderful restoration; you have far more patience and skill than I.

Msn

• 4 months later...

Found another photo. This time there's 5 of them along with a group of Marines. Date and location unknown but I can see an M1910 canteen and I think their Springfield's are fitted with Kerr slings.

usmc wooden carts.jpg

• 2 years later...