NEW USAAF GROUPING

BEAST

Just picked this up today. The antique dealer who I bought it from gave me the name of the vet and I found his obit. In the obit, it stated that he had served as a tailgunner during the war. After the war, he joined the National Guard and retired as a Captain.

I found his name on a different website and it said that he served from 1944 through 1945. This was confirmed in a 1950s copy of the National Guard Officer's register. One thing that I found interesting is that in the short period that he serve (a little over a year) he earned an Air Medal with 3 OLCs! This is also mentioned in the Officer's Register.

I have posted more detailed photos of the wings in the WINGS section of the forum. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=18455&hl=

post-203-1208046449.jpg

I also picked up a one piece Jungle Expert patch today and a 2nd Cav cloth collar insignia.

post-203-1208046423.jpg post-203-1208046429.jpg

Nice find Beast, I always like anything AAF. Glad to see you asked the seller for the vets name instead of just buying it and letting them become artifacts.

- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add some more info concerning the AAF grouping. I received a copy of his WWII discharge and he served with the 730th Bombardment Squadron, 452 Bombardment Group, 8th AF. He was drafted on 25 Mar 1944 and by 1 November 1945, he had earned the rank of Staff Sergeant. One thing I found interesting is that he arrived overseas on February 13, 1945 and by the time the Group flew its last mission in late April 1945, he had earned an Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters. Seems like a lot of flight time in a short span of time. He was involved in three campaigns, Central Europe, Rhineland and Northern France.

Now I am waiting for his information from St. Louis.

One more thing to add. Today I found an wartime article in a local newspaper that mentioned John Flowers. In the article it refers to him as "...tail gunner of "Becky Lou" an 8th A.A.F. Flying Fortress of the 452 bombardment group..." I was pretty pleased to know which aircraft he was on.

Salvage Sailor
One more thing to add. Today I found an wartime article in a local newspaper that mentioned John Flowers. In the article it refers to him as "...tail gunner of "Becky Lou" an 8th A.A.F. Flying Fortress of the 452 bombardment group..." I was pretty pleased to know which aircraft he was on.

Aloha Beast,

Every go to this site? Army Airforces

Best place I've found to get info from vets on BG's and squadrons.

Aloha Beast,

Every go to this site? Army Airforces

Best place I've found to get info from vets on BG's and squadrons.

Aloha Salvage Sailor,

Yes, that is one of the most useful sites for USAAF info. I have had good luck there before and I posted a message on their forum today.

• 15 years later...
On 4/12/2008 at 8:29 PM, BEAST said:

Just picked this up today. The antique dealer who I bought it from gave me the name of the vet and I found his obit. In the obit, it stated that he had served as a tailgunner during the war. After the war, he joined the National Guard and retired as a Captain.

I found his name on a different website and it said that he served from 1944 through 1945. This was confirmed in a 1950s copy of the National Guard Officer's register. One thing that I found interesting is that in the short period that he serve (a little over a year) he earned an Air Medal with 3 OLCs! This is also mentioned in the Officer's Register.

I have posted more detailed photos of the wings in the WINGS section of the forum. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=18455&hl=

post-203-1208046449.jpg

I also picked up a one piece Jungle Expert patch today and a 2nd Cav cloth collar insignia.

post-203-1208046423.jpg post-203-1208046429.jpg

I spoke with the son of the vet and found out that the Jungle Expert patch belonged to his dad.  After WWII, the tail gunner joined the Indiana National Guard and in the mid-1960s was sent to the Jungle Warfare school.