Bailey Banks & Biddle of Philadelphia, PA: examples and patterns

Another local Texas find:

Sorry about the bad pictures, I'll try to get better photos up, I can't seem to get the flash to turn off on my camera... :blink:

post-594-1208038386.jpg

post-594-1208038410.jpg

The Observer wing is for comparison, and came from the "Frank Brothers Cache." Both are the type attributed to Bailey Banks and Biddle.

Chris

John Cooper

OOOOOO AHHHHH - yes please post some more photos...

BTW do not listen to the Patrick guy... I do not hate you... if fact if you send me those wings I may just... well you get the point ;)LOL

All,

As promised, here are some (slightly) better pictures. My photography skills, and the close-up limitations of my camera leave a lot to be desired.

The first picture I took with a piece of tissue paper over the flash to diffuse the light. It gives you a good idea about the details, but the color is somewhat exaggerated and there is still quite a bit of reflection:

post-594-1208634837.jpg

What you can see though, is quite a bit of the original "frosting"

left in the nooks and crannies of the wings and shield

The second I took in natural sun-light, without the flash, and it gives a better idea of the overall color, but the details are fuzzy:

post-594-1208634851.jpg

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you have a document scanner, like a HP, then use that. I scan most of my wings that way. It is quick and easy and you can avoid the problems with the flash.

Nice wings.

Patrick

• 4 years later...

Very Nice Wings and nice pics, showing all the details.

I miss mine, had to sell them a few years ago :crying:

The Colorado Terry

• 2 weeks later...

John,

That is the nicest Bailey, Banks & Biddle 'Dallas' style wing badge I've ever seen :love: . Frankly, when it comes to wings I'm usually a 'clean & shine' guy but the patina on yours is so beautiful it would be a crime to do anything to change it.

Cliff

Thanks for all the great replies to the wing!

By the way, if you have not seen it, there is an excellent new booklet available on Dallas Wings.

It is available on ebay, pic attached.

Best, John

post-12439-0-82060000-1350400846.jpg

Thanks for all the great replies to the wing!

By the way, if you have not seen it, there is an excellent new booklet available on Dallas Wings.

It is available on ebay, pic attached.

Best, John

My copy arrived today. A useful little booklet indeed.

That's a great set of wings you show John!

Regards

Mike

• 5 years later...

Since no one else has brought this up I stumbled upon this WW1 pilot wing being offered for sale on the Goodwill Auction site. I don't collect pilot wings but thought it would be nice to have one of these in my collection if the price was reasonable. The wing was at $278.77 the day before the auction ended (#51016764). I was shocked when it sold for a little over $5000.00. Since I do not collect these wings is this the going price for one of these WW1 era pilot wings?

post-1389-0-03811200-1523216314_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-88668000-1523216329_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-95604500-1523216339_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-32310900-1523216352_thumb.jpg

I believe people write these purchases off on their taxes as a charitable donation for a lot of items purchased on this site. Stuff goes for way crazy high prices it is the only explanation to me for some of the prices.

As many fakes as there are out there, I'd neverput out that kind of money for something I could not examine closely.

v/r,

Owen

I watched that auction as well. The last two minutes there were two $5k bids. The wing is worth maybe 20% of that from what I was told.

I watched that auction as well. The last two minutes there were two $5k bids. The wing is worth maybe 20% of that from what I was told.

Ok that make more sense.