Unknown patch - Vietnam

River Patrol

River Patrol

I got this patch recently and quickly filed it into the "unknown" section of my book. Anyone have a clue who used this patch?

My guess is an Advisory Team patch....maybe for Team 100 since it has the "Centurion" rocker. Idk.

Any help is appreciated.

A158.jpg

Johnny Signor

Well it has the MAC V emblem lower right and the letters VL and LII could possibly be a base location ???????????????

And I "assume" that's some sort of winged creature there in the center, does it look like any of the unit emblems of FOB's ........................

I'm also thinking an Advisory Team.The thing in the middle is suppose to be a Roman type helmet.Is this the one from eBay? If it is I was trying to snag it.

Mobile Advisory Teams (MAT) had numbers, like I-45, denoting I CTZ, Team 45. Never saw any like "L11". The "VL" could stand for Vinh Long, which I beleive was a Province in III or maybe IV Corps.

I think J_Andrews is on to something.

Maybe the LII are Roman numeral "52;" Advisory Team 52 was at Vinh Long.

Or maybe the VL denotes "45." Maybe MAT IV-45 under Advisory Team 52. Or the other way around.

River Patrol

I can believe "VL" is the abbreviation for the Province, perhaps Vinh Long, and that the "LII" is Roman Numerals for the Team number.....I'll see if I can find information to match them up.

Yes Firefighter, this was on Ebay recently. I like the ideas for the center "thing" but I still can't imagine what it is.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think it is a Roman Centurion helmet.Google images for that type of helmet.It has 'CENTURION' on the patch.I'm glad somebody on here got it.

River Patrol

Yea, you're right. I can see the helmet now and with the "Centurion" rocker, it makes sense.

Thanks for seeing what I couldn't, Firefighter!

Cheers,

Steve

It is Advisory Team 52 in Vinh Long indeed. Here is the beercan version of the earlier patch, with MAAG SSI instead of the MACV one:

maag_v10.jpg

Solved. The beer can has the MAAG insignia versus the patch having the MACV.The patch one most be a later use insignia when MAAG-VN was deactivated and MACV took over?

I bought the beercan badge straight form the vet, and he stated he had served in 1966. The changeover on the insignia design probably took place later that the MAAG/MACV transition. (the MAAG patch on my pic is unrelated)