"Choc-chip" covers.

Sabrejet

flashesandovals

the photos are not sharp enough to tell if they are using desert camo covers turned inside out, but that would be the simplest way to have the plain tan color shown in the old photos instead of ordering new ones in solid tan

fading and fine desert dust & sand would conceal the other colors from bleeding through

Why would they want to turn a desert camouflage cover inside out to have a tan one to go with a desert camouflage uniform?

This doesn't seem to make sense to me...

Why would they want to turn a desert camouflage cover inside out to have a tan one to go with a desert camouflage uniform?

This doesn't seem to make sense to me...

Nor to me F&O! it doesn't make any sense.

Since the topic is "Choc-chip" covers" I thought I'd include my 1991 contract dated six color DBDU helmet cover.

Reference the discussion on early three color DCUs. I have several three color DCU's that have 90 and 91 contract dates. Including one patched for the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO). And I also have a three color DCU field jacket with a 1989 contract date which has woodland green 22nd Support Command patches with a theater made tan U.S. Army name tape.

9753952704_8527f61c21_o.jpg

Reference the discussion on early three color DCUs. I have several three color DCU's that have 90 and 91 contract dates. Including one patched for the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO). And I also have a three color DCU field jacket with a 1989 contract date which has woodland green 22nd Support Command patches with a theater made tan U.S. Army name tape.

Got my wires crossed. :lol: Actually this comment should have gone with this thread on the 1989 dated 3-color DCU:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/186604-3-color-dcu-field-jacket-with-1989-datewhat-can-someone-explain/?hl=desert

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple of more photos of the tan covers worn by 82nd troops during Operation Bright Star. These came from the 82nd's 1982 unit yearbook.

post-1761-0-63687400-1428671856.jpg

• 4 years later...

Here's an Official United States Army photo in like 1977 or so where cover is seen. The U.S. ARMY Tape appears to be a Nylon Woven example in Tan, a Tan NAME Tape, without Name we see as well, could be in the manner of the OD Ribbed Nylon type of the day, here just in Tan, note that the tapes are sewn on the wrong side, don't know how they goofed with that :lol:

post-34986-0-14591500-1574571707_thumb.jpg

Here's an Official United States Army photo in like 1977 or so where cover is seen. The U.S. ARMY Tape appears to be a Nylon Woven example in Tan, a Tan NAME Tape, without Name we see as well, could be in the manner of the OD Ribbed Nylon type of the day, here just in Tan, note that the tapes are sewn on the wrong side, don't know how they goofed with that :lol:

attachicon.gif007427a.jpg

I would love to see the stamping on the cover and the tags in the coat and pants, seeing that these were trials.

• 1 year later...

Ana one more sighting of the Tan Cover as worn in the early 80s in Egypt, a close up it shows the texture of it, kind of a course look to it with a sheen.

22.jpg

zoom.jpg

13 hours ago, patches said:

Could it be that these Tan Covers worn in Egypt back ten were locally procured?

Just for clarification....are you suggesting that guy is a GI and that GI's procured covers locally?  Doesn't look like a GI to me...and thus, maybe just Turkish made and Turkish used.  

1 hour ago, bigschuss said:

Just for clarification....are you suggesting that guy is a GI and that GI's procured covers locally?  Doesn't look like a GI to me...and thus, maybe just Turkish made and Turkish used.  

Yes, he was on the cover of the June 1982 issue of SOLDIERS Magazine, the official magazine of the United States Army, an article on Bright Star in Egypt ,GI named Joyner. (See name written on Camp Helmet Band), rank and unit unknown, though he maybe is of the 24th Infantry Division (M) or the 82nd Airborne Division, probably in the 82nd as is the GI in post #30 is, because I believe the 24th Inf Div may have marked their covers with a big Black V.

a-l00.jpg

2 hours ago, patches said:

Yes, he was on the cover of the June 1982 issue of SOLDIERS Magazine, the official magazine of the United States Army, an article on Bright Star in Egypt ,GI named Joyner. (See name written on Camp Helmet Band), rank and unit unknown, though he maybe is of the 24th Infantry Division (M) or the 82nd Airborne Division, probably in the 82nd as is the GI in post #30 is, because I believe the 24th Inf Div may have marked their covers with a big Black V.

a-l00.jpg

Ah, that is so neat.  The funky helmet cover and the red and black strap on the googles looked non-regulation and perhaps foreign.

Thanks for clarifying.  

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

They are ERDL covers turned inside out (or occasionally not) and spray painted tan.

3 hours ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

They are ERDL covers turned inside out (or occasionally not) and spray painted tan.

No way! For Real!

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 3/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, patches said:

No way! For Real!

Yes way! DF-ST-85-03570.jpeg.7356099227c756d62335e175e2605bd5.jpeg

Members of the 82nd Airborne Division, armed with M-16A1 rifles, take defensive positions in the Sahara Desert during exercise Bright Star '82

January 12th 1981 DOD photo by MSGT Don Sutherland.

Look at the bottom rim, you will see some ERDL peeking out. Taylor P clearly didn't flip his cover inside-out before spray painting the cover, and did it while the cover was pulled tight over the shell, as it was worn the cover shifted and revealed a section that had been folded inside the helmet and hidden from the spray.

DF-ST-85-03573.jpeg.822b80e2569472a0c7b70d8b2d2148e5.jpeg

An injured member of the 82nd Airborne Division is treated prior to being transported to a Cairo hospital during Exercise BRIGHT STAR '82

This photo reminds me of a renaissance painting. On the left is a man who sprayed his cover on the helmet, with the elastic camouflage band still on. The band has ridden up a bit, revealing the green which was masked by the band. To me the green color looks like the green side of a mitchell cover, which seems like a bit of an odd choice as he could just flip it to the brown side like the man on the back right has done. And in the bottom right of the image a 6 color desert helmet cover, complete with foliage slits and a sewn-on rank can be seen. It could well be a factory cover, but the dark brown is an usual shade and shape, leading me to believe that this major may have put some extra artistic touches on top of a spray-painted cover.

39 minutes ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Yes way! DF-ST-85-03570.jpeg.7356099227c756d62335e175e2605bd5.jpeg

Members of the 82nd Airborne Division, armed with M-16A1 rifles, take defensive positions in the Sahara Desert during exercise Bright Star '82

Look at the bottom rim, you will see some ERDL peeking out. Taylor P clearly didn't flip his cover inside-out before spray painting the cover, and did it while the cover was pulled tight over the shell, as it was worn the cover shifted and revealed a section that had been folded inside the helmet and hidden from the spray.

DF-ST-85-03573.jpeg.822b80e2569472a0c7b70d8b2d2148e5.jpeg

An injured member of the 82nd Airborne Division is treated prior to being transported to a Cairo hospital during Exercise BRIGHT STAR '82

This photo reminds me of a renaissance painting. On the left is a man who sprayed his cover on the helmet, with the elastic camouflage band still on. The band has ridden up a bit, revealing the green which was masked by the band. To me the green color looks like the green side of a mitchell cover, which seems like a bit of an odd choice as he could just flip it to the brown side like the man on the back right has done. And in the bottom right of the image a 6 color desert helmet cover, complete with foliage slits and a sewn-on rank can be seen. It could well be a factory cover, but the dark brown is an usual shade and shape, leading me to believe that this major may have put some extra artistic touches on top of a spray-painted cover.

Wow that settles that, I guess the Leaf and Woodland Covers were deemed unsuitable, even though the Leaf Covers BROWN SIDE OUT were, guess there wasn't many of them. We guess these covers, once back in the states were trashed, thus the lack of them around, none of these guys thinking these would be collectable 40 years into the future 941756928_emoticonlaugh.png.d062b1465328c9b0a70dcb8cc2304cde.png

Also note that at least 3 of the guys in that photo have the same red strap on their M1974 dust goggles as Joyner on the cover of "Soldiers".