Section 5 Norton-Harjes Ambulance Corps/ U.S. - S.S.U. 646 Group

Belleauwood

Belleauwood , I am consistently blown away by what you share here on the forum. This is an amazing group, full of that hardy New England history I love reading about. Thank you for sharing.

-- Jon

Listed below are a few of the original citations for Section 5/646 (Formation Harjes). I have not photographed all as there are too many to list without being redundant. These are incredibly rare and almost never seen in collections. If my memory serves me correctly, Section 5/646 was awarded the Médaille militaire as an entire section. The only U.S. Ambulance Corps to receive a group award. They served entirely with the French Army even after Federalized in 1917.

One of these citations is dated 1916.

post-3422-0-26734800-1376226770.jpg

The Tiley family has roots to the beginning of American culture and seems that many in his family answered the call to arm since the Revolution. Here below are some of the excerpts from his family history. Awesome American Spirit that is dying in our country today.

post-3422-0-05874300-1376418041.jpg

post-3422-0-73602700-1376418053.jpg

post-3422-0-00471000-1376418063.jpg

Dennis, Just a fantastic group! I really like the items from USAAS as they were so unique, serving in the US Army but not with the US Army.

That ambulance plaque is beautiful and I really like the attachments he made to the CdG cord. I have had one similar but it was for the 2nd Division. Thanks for posting!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

There is more paper and other items but too cumbersome to shot and list. Thanks for the complements.

D

Just wanted to add a compliment here. My grandfather Ervin Drake was head of this unit. One of the reasons the history of this unit is so hard to find is that he died in a soap factory accident in 1930. I have quite a bit of similar ephemera to yours, including a history of the unit, and a whole scrapbook of snapshots from the war, including some pictures of Tiley you surely have not seen... I'll try and put a few up when I get a chance in May, if anyone is interested,