M113 "The Leprechaun" II Corps, RVN?

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a photo and I figure if anyone would know where to find a pic of this vehicle, it'd be someone on here.

I sat down with the Quad/Duster/Searchlight historian today and during our conversation, the subject of "the Leprechaun" came up. Apparently it was an in-country conversion done on a single M113 that mounted an M55 quad-.50 turret instead of the .50 cal cupola. While effective, it was short lived since the vehicle ran over a command-detonated 250lb bomb and was destroyed with three crewmen KIA.

I've got a copy of the 4-60th Artillery AAR that references the vehicle and how it performed up to and including it's destruction. It was crewed by a mix of soldiers from 1-50th Infantry and E/41 Artillery (attached to 4-60th Artillery).
However, a photo of this particular vehicle remains elusive. Someone's gotta have one!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Yep, that's an M113A3T2. Close, but not the vehicle I'm looking for. The Leprechaun would have had a lower-mounted turret, since it began life as an M55 turret, not an M45D from a halftrack. The mounting rings are very different. This one has the halftrack-style mounting ring.

Cobrahistorian

That's the "Swamp Fox", an M548 with the quad added. The Leprechaun was a bit more involved and to date, no one has a photo of it!

• 4 years later...

That's the "Swamp Fox", an M548 with the quad added. The Leprechaun was a bit more involved and to date, no one has a photo of it!

Have you had any luck obtaing a photo of the M113 Leprechaun. I'm currently building one in 1/18 scale based on the AAR and what information was gathered on the APC.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photoshop image of the M113 I plan on building based on the information gathered by Cobrahistorian. I have already started building it in 1/18 scale using 21st Century models. The bottom attachment is closer to the look of my build.

post-178524-0-19540200-1522345429_thumb.png

post-178524-0-09213300-1522345499_thumb.png