My firend's experience in Iraq. USMC Fallujah-2004

ColdWarRules

ColdWarRules

When 9/11 happened I was only in kindergarten. My sister at the time was in High School and I was friends with all of her friends. As a few years went by and they graduated in '03 most of her male friends enlisted, none returned home alive. I was heart broken and I saw many more of my classmate's older brothers go, again some didn't come home. Then when I went to my parent's work on take your child to work day and it so happened one son was returning home from Iraq. He fought in Fallujah and when his father said "God brought you back home!" he quickly denied his father's hug and said "There is no god in war". Ever since he got home he has been struggling and I worry for him sometimes. I became friends with him after I told him "thank you".

A few weeks ago he called me (drunk of course) and I listened to him, didn't speak a word. He was talking about the battle for Fallujah. As I listened I was amazed with his feats, saved two men by killing 2 insurgents in an IED attack, saved the patrol from a ambush by gunning them down on the .50 one day, and how he argued with his superiors about the Silver Star and how he didn't want it.

However the most moving thing was how he talked about his friends that he lost. He didn't feel bad for the men he killed, only how he wasn't able to save his friends.

He deployed twice, he fought in Fallujah, Ramadi, and did some business in the Triangle and Baghdad. His superiors wanted to put him up for the Silver Star, but he argued like a stubborn Missourian and they didn't push the papers through. I hope one day I can write down his experiences in a organized manor, but when he isn't on the edge. I can't remember the details much, he jumped around from topic to topic. I thought it would be nice to share some of his experiences.

-Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow I thought it was ME who was the young one on here but you guys have me beat! Haha. I was a junior in HS on 9/11/01. Thanks for sharing your stories. It was definitely a moment which affected everyone in different ways, regardless of their age.

Kyle