Moral Dilema of buying service medals and awards

jfairclo

This subject has probably already been discussed, but does any one else feel strange when buying a medal or award of a soldier. Today I was offered a purple heart to buy, and I refused. I have always thought that selling and buying soldiers medals and was not right. Sorry if I have insulted anybody, but does anybody else feel this way?

ColdWarRules

I only want to discover the ones that have no story and research what they did. Especially PHs, they almost gave it all, their story should be honored.

The way I see it is that if no one else cares to remember the person by proudly displaying the medals/uniform (etc.) I am more then happy too! Not one thing immoral about it! I often go one step further then just collecting and I add a memorial dedicated to the individual on Find-A-Grave with a bio and photos if possible.

Mark D

smwinter207

These are tokens of a soldier's sacrifice. Be it his life or his time in service. If no one is there to research and publish their history, then the sacrifice is forgotten.

S

SEABEEBRIAN

No, not at all. Medals and decorations are a representation of a serviceman's time in the military and a way to recognize their actions. I don't care if the medal is a purple heart or a medal of honor. They are just medals, no different than any other from any other country in the world. Lets not get carried away and come up with mythology around them.

smwinter207

I truly believe these are just "tokens". The sacrifice is known only to the serviceman, his family, and his comrades. I think we are saying the same thing.

As LuftStalag said, please publish your discoveries. It's an honor to learn about every veteran.

... I often go one step further then just collecting and I add a memorial dedicated to the individual on Find-A-Grave with a bio and photos if possible.

Mark D

*thumbs up*

I have no qualm with buying/selling medals. One thing I don't personally understand is the drive for KIA/WIA stuff. I don't 'look down' on it by any means, just don't understand it :)

carbinephalen

I am in full agreement on what has already been said.

However, I don't like people discussing them (KIA medals that is) like they are baseball cards or Beanie Babies.

"OH SWEET SCORE!!!"

or

"THAT IS ONE KILLER MEDAL "

are words and statements that should NEVER be said.

I have no qualm with buying/selling medals. One thing I don't personally understand is the drive for KIA/WIA stuff. I don't 'look down' on it by any means, just don't understand it :)

same here.

This subject has probably already been discussed, but does any one else feel strange when buying a medal or award of a soldier. Today I was offered a purple heart to buy, and I refused. I have always thought that selling and buying soldiers medals and was not right. Sorry if I have insulted anybody, but does anybody else feel this way?

Personally I do not purchase or want named medals / decorations. I do not have a problem with others doing it, but it is just not something I care to do.

Personally I do not purchase or want named medals / decorations. I do not have a problem with others doing it, but it is just not something I care to do.

That's about as fair as anyone can be! :)

I see no problem with it. I have read many posts on this forum where named medals and discussions of the person and what they have done has brought the person "back to life." In many instances if someone did not buy and research the name the information would be lost to time. How many times has someone posted a named medal and information about the person and we see a distant family member say it is great to learn about their family member.

I truely feel that we are not just collectors, we preserve history.

Interesting perspective, which makes some sense. I approach it differently, preferring named medals, to show that I was not the one to whom they were awarded. I have several named PHs and a Silver Star which I display named side up, for that very reason.

A nice thing about this thread is that we have several perspectives, but everybody is tolerant and accepting of others' perspectives.

Steve

Not only are we collectors but many of us feel as though we are the curators and historians who will keep past sacrifices alive. Thus, I have no problem with it. However, I must agree, when a KIA/WIA is stated as being a "sweet score" it really diminishes the meaning behind these medals. If a person cannot think of something honorable to say, it is probably best to not say anything.

If collectors don't want to preserve the legacy of a veteran's service than who will? When a medal is up for sale it almost always means the family got rid it one way or another.

I have to tell you that I buy from lots of families, including widows who find no one in younger generations who wants the veteran's stuff, and I cannot tell you how many times they have expressed surprise and pleasure that there are collectors who will be responsible stewards of their loved ones medals and other artifacts.

Why is it "cool" when, say, a named Purple Heart comes out of the woodwork, found in the thrift shop, at a swap meet or at an estate sale?

It's "cool" because it means the sacrifice of that veteran, as memorialized in that little bit of metal and ribbon, will be remembered once again, here on the forum or possibly at a Memorial or Veteran's Day display put on by a collector at a school or other public facility. It means that medal has ended up in the hands of someone who values the symbolic meaning that goes far beyond the value of the ribbon and metal.

Yes, sometimes people get carried away in their enthusiasm for a new find, but if you've ever handled the named medal of a soldier killed in action, you know it can be quite an emotional thing when you look at it, and at his name and reflect on what it represents. I always think about the mother or father or wife who got that posthumous medal in the mail during a time of extreme emotions following news of the loss of their loved one. Some must have squeezed the medal in their hands and cried. Others, angry at their loss, tossed the medal in a drawer without opening the box.

So many of those who died in wars past were young, single men who today have no direct descendants to preserve their legacy and their medals and artifacts end up in the hands of great-nephews and others with no personal knowledge of the veteran. They don't understand the symbolism and emotion behind the artifacts, but we do and we have a responsibility to ensure those artifacts are preserved and recognized for what they represent.

ColdWarRules

Today when I started a research on one of my Purple Hearts I found out he was in the Army Air Corp. Back in the day it took some balls to get in one of those planes and fly at that altitude, they didn't have O2 systems like they do today, they had enemy fighters trying to shoot them down, and they had enemy on the ground shooting explosive rounds of shrapnel at them...it was certain death. It takes tremendous courage to fight, but it takes so much more to sacrifice.

To me the purple heart represents true courage. Valor awards are nice, but I'd much rather preserve a WIA or a KIA soldier's PH than any silver star.

If the families won't take care of it, we will.

-Nick

"OH SWEET SCORE!!!"

or

"THAT IS ONE KILLER MEDAL "

I think this probably relates more to the collecting side and the thrill of the hunt than anything else.

I think this probably relates more to the collecting side and the thrill of the hunt than anything else.

So true.

There are times when medals are sold because no one in the extended family cares enough to retain them. A collector will research and honor those items.

Other times a family need money and are selling whatever they can sell. Some times I send money and have them keep the medals. Other times they insist on selling the items so I buy them.

The only moral dilemma is when politicians get involved and turn a basic transaction it into a crime.

"If collectors don't want to preserve the legacy of a veteran's service than who will? When a medal is up for sale it almost always means the family got rid it one way or another.

I have to tell you that I buy from lots of families, including widows who find no one in younger generations who wants the veteran's stuff, and I cannot tell you how many times they have expressed surprise and pleasure that there are collectors who will be responsible stewards of their loved ones medals and other artifacts.

Why is it "cool" when, say, a named Purple Heart comes out of the woodwork, found in the thrift shop, at a swap meet or at an estate sale?

It's "cool" because it means the sacrifice of that veteran, as memorialized in that little bit of metal and ribbon, will be remembered once again, here on the forum or possibly at a Memorial or Veteran's Day display put on by a collector at a school or other public facility. It means that medal has ended up in the hands of someone who values the symbolic meaning that goes far beyond the value of the ribbon and metal.

Yes, sometimes people get carried away in their enthusiasm for a new find, but if you've ever handled the named medal of a soldier killed in action, you know it can be quite an emotional thing when you look at it, and at his name and reflect on what it represents. I always think about the mother or father or wife who got that posthumous medal in the mail during a time of extreme emotions following news of the loss of their loved one. Some must have squeezed the medal in their hands and cried. Others, angry at their loss, tossed the medal in a drawer without opening the box.

So many of those who died in wars past were young, single men who today have no direct descendants to preserve their legacy and their medals and artifacts end up in the hands of great-nephews and others with no personal knowledge of the veteran. They don't understand the symbolism and emotion behind the artifacts, but we do and we have a responsibility to ensure those artifacts are preserved and recognized for what they represent"

Bob Hudson

I was going to express my opinion on this subject but Bob addressed the subject and my thoughts and feelings perfectly. Thanks Bob.

Dick

American Heritage

Not only are we collectors but many of us feel as though we are the curators and historians who will keep past sacrifices alive. Thus, I have no problem with it. However, I must agree, when a KIA/WIA is stated as being a "sweet score" it really diminishes the meaning behind these medals. If a person cannot think of something honorable to say, it is probably best to not say anything.

Bugme summarizes it perfectly here.