.50 Cal. Ammo Box

gap

Copied this from the CMP site, I have not tried this but sounds like a good replacement for the old dry rotted or missing gasket. Carter

"

Recently purchased two cans of the Kynock belted ammo. The ammo came in a solid, ugly, WWII ammo can. Like most of them the gasket was rotted away. I've done it before so I wanted to replace these gasket, and thought I'd refinish the can too. Used a good stripper on the can as well as wire brush and steel wool.

I purchased the rubber hose from an auto supply store, 7/64" vacuum hose. One can of paint that is similar to the color of the inside of the can. The outside had been painted OD at some point and covered the yellow 1953 stenciling. One bottle of contact cement, which I usually keep on hand anyhow. I split the hose by running it through a small piece of wood with a razor blade centered over the hole. See the picture. (NOTE : pics not displayed @CMP site) Cut the rubber to fit the can lid, apply the cement as per the instructions on the bottle. Clamp temporarily while attaching the rubber. Install the lid and latch it shut over night. The weak point is the seam where the new rubber gasket butts together, so I don't consider it to be "airtight". It will keep things inside clean and dry submersion being the exception.

There is black silicone sealant available at the auto supply stores one could use. I suppose it would work as well. Neither are as good as the original would have been 58 years ago.