World War I/Alvin York Display, Pink Palace Museum, Memphis, Tennessee

439th Signal Battalion

439th Signal Battalion

Friends,

As I am currently in Memphis, TN, visiting with the in-laws, we decided to visit the "Pink Palace" museum here in town.

I reluctantly agreed to go along, not only because the weather is very wet and super-humid, but also because I am pretty hesitant about going into anyplace called, "The Pink Palace." (I was further discouraged when I observed a no concealed weapons sticker on the door but went ahead against my will when my in-laws assured me that it was worth it).

As I came to find out, the Pink Palace (named after the tint of the mansion that houses the complex) is a very nice, professional, and scholarly museum about the history of Memphis and the surrounding area.

I was very impressed with the artifacts contained within the exhibits, especially the authentic uniforms and weapons from the Civil War era and the Victorian-era Piggly Wiggly grocery store exhibit, but I was blown away (no pun intented) by the World War I exhibit currently on display which housed hundreds of artifacts ranging from many pieces of trench art, to Spandau and Maxim Machine Guns and Axis equipment to Doughboy weapons, uniforms, and equipment, not to mention some of Elvis' uniforms while in Germany.

The most interesting exhibit, however, dealt with Alvin C. York and the action that won his Medal of Honor. The story, research, and key artifacts from the 2006 expedition back to the Argonne Forest where they pinpointed the action were all on display and in full view along with 3D maps and other interactive features.

http://www.memphismuseums.org/exhibit-14880/

If you are in the vicinity, I would strongly encourage you to visit the museum as the WWI display packs up and moves in September.

Garth Thompson

Being from Memphis I know the Pink Palace is a class museum by I have to wonder why the no concealed weapons sticker bother you. It is a fairly common thing in Memphis on the doors of businesses and exhibitions.

Garth