WWII Original PAL RH-36 Fighting Knife & Sheath

Patchcollector

Still-A-Marine

In the article "The “Q” Knives of WW II" By Frank Trzaska 2004 he states:

... The typical Catt knife has a smooth leather handle roughed up in the center section with gouges to the leather for a sure grip. The cutting tool intentionally applied the gouges; it is not a mistake....

The whole article can be read in this thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119854-cattaraugus-225q/?hl=225q

Bill

Ive owned several of these over the years including a mint example and all had the "roughed up" grip . I always wondered why . Great article .

Patchcollector

Regarding your earlier question. It looks like a Parkerized blade to me.

I'm not too sure there is such a thing as a Cattaraugus 225 with an original handle that isn’t scuffed up. So many of them seem to be marked up so similarly that I’ve often wondered if it wasn’t deliberate. I know that others have speculated towards that.

Thanks for the answer!

In the article "The “Q” Knives of WW II" By Frank Trzaska 2004 he states:

... The typical Catt knife has a smooth leather handle roughed up in the center section with gouges to the leather for a sure grip. The cutting tool intentionally applied the gouges; it is not a mistake....

The whole article can be read in this thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119854-cattaraugus-225q/?hl=225q

Bill

Interesting.I was browsing the Catt knives on eBay the other night and I found a few(2 I think)that had pretty nice handles.Would those be civilian models?

These PAL's do have a bit of variety. The ones I have in my collection have what I consider an early marked sheath. I choose to have this one as I have seen a half dozen or so naval aviators wearing this type.

Here are two variations red vs. black spacers the bottom one is overall slightly larger in blade width and length also the fuller is slightly larger.

post-56-0-18165900-1376155051.jpg

Patchcollector

Those two PAL's of yours sure are pretty Dustin.Nice and minty!From what I have been reading online,the PAL's seemed to be popular with the Navy guys.Does this sound like a valid assumption?

Those two PAL's of yours sure are pretty Dustin.Nice and minty!From what I have been reading online,the PAL's seemed to be popular with the Navy guys.Does this sound like a valid assumption?

I would agree with your assumption, PAL and Western in which it is known that several US Navy Bureaus had multiple contracts with both companies.

I do like the bright blades more so than the more common parked version

I have several photos from USN vets from WWII and Korea showing me their "issue" knife. Both are PAL RH-36's. One bright and one parkerized. Vets were in USN Patrol Squadrons and operated PV-2's and Martin Mariners.

Great using knife. Sent one to Afghanistan for a GI to carry on patrol.

Patchcollector

I have several photos from USN vets from WWII and Korea showing me their "issue" knife. Both are PAL RH-36's. One bright and one parkerized. Vets were in USN Patrol Squadrons and operated PV-2's and Martin Mariners.

Great using knife. Sent one to Afghanistan for a GI to carry on patrol.

Here are some sellers pics of a bright bladed piece that I just acquired.

Being fairly new to collecting the edged weapons,I'm astounded at how fairly priced some of these blades are.

I'm talking chiefly about the three more common ones,the PAL,the Catt,and the Shark.

All are very well made in the USA,and most can still be found for around 50(or less),in great shape!

I'm certain that the GI that received the knife that you sent will be pleased with it.If I were a soldier today,I would not go and buy a newly made,overpriced piece but opt instead for one of these.

post-13386-0-41704300-1376939315.jpg

post-13386-0-27945700-1376939319.jpg

post-13386-0-37601000-1376939323.jpg

• 1 year later...

got one yesterday great knife cleaned it a little from being in a old store but ya great handle and blade, the handles a little loose but its not too bad post ww2 leather sheath marked west germeny but idk anyway awesome knife (sorry if i hi jacked a little) but great knife. -ray