USN Log Books and Green Ink

mark leonard

mark leonard

I had a few questions about green ink. When did the USN start using green ink to note combat in logbooks, the earliest I have seen is 1944. Also was it limited to carrier borne aircraft only? If you have some please post some photos of green ink pages on here, WWII ,Korea, Vietnam. Thanks , Mark

I am sorry I can't answer your question, but when I was in Naval Aviation (1981-2001), the Exec Officer always signed in green ink and the Commanding Officer signed in red ink.

I don't know if this is related ??

• 3 weeks later...

I have a logbook from the Okinawa campaign that is not green ink written. Moreover, your VT-82 pilot's logbook is the first ww2 logbook I see with green ink. I believed until now that the green ink for combat missions was used since the Vietnam war. When a line in a logbook is not for a combat mission as a flight between two friendly airbases, it's not written in green.

I believe that USMC is not using green ink for combat mission. They would notice them in red. Red ink is for night missions in USN.

Your logbooks are very interesting.

Franck

Dave,

The flights in your posted logbook are not combat flights. Those are Scout and Fam flights recorded on that page.

Chris

Dave,

The flights in your posted logbook are not combat flights. Those are Scout and Fam flights recorded on that page.

Chris

Good point, although if you were to ask the U-boat that was attacked, the plane wasn't on a fam flight... :D

mark leonard

I have a logbook from the Okinawa campaign that is not green ink written. Moreover, your VT-82 pilot's logbook is the first ww2 logbook I see with green ink. I believed until now that the green ink for combat missions was used since the Vietnam war. When a line in a logbook is not for a combat mission as a flight between two friendly airbases, it's not written in green.

I believe that USMC is not using green ink for combat mission. They would notice them in red. Red ink is for night missions in USN.

Your logbooks are very interesting.

Franck

Franck........I think Kastauffer has some photos posted of some WWII and Korea logs with green ink.......Mark

Some Fam flights are more exciting than others!!!

I am kicking myself now though as the vet's daughter had all of his logbooks from the 30s through the 50s and he flew numerous combat missions during WW2 (received 2x DFC and 3x AM)...but I didn't bother looking through the other logbooks as I was too pressed for time... Would have probably found some good examples to post here.

mark leonard

Here's a logbook with a month's worth of combat flights, written in black.

Dave

Dave....I think this is a very COOL page is it VP-82 ? If so it is the first from that squadron I have seen......Mark

Dave....I think this is a very COOL page is it VP-82 ? If so it is the first from that squadron I have seen......Mark

I believe he did fly with VP-82 during this time period. One heck of a guy...

I see his co-pilot was an enlisted NAP. Pretty Coool!!

At the time, he was as well. He was commissioned after this event, for which he received the DFC (unfortunately, not a nicely engraved one, just plain...)

• 3 months later...