This is what I can buy in my Country

Welshman

Hi

Here's a Replica American Garand, that I can buy in my Country, its called a Taped Finish, its full size, but a few ounces lighter?. The dealer says the tape can be taken off, but would have to be replaced with a government approved colour tape. All this for £250.00, plus postage, thats $382.15, what do you think.

Welshman

post-123228-0-60661100-1375557077.jpg

Hi

Here's a Replica American Garand, that I can buy in my Country, its called a Taped Finish, its full size, but a few ounces lighter?. The dealer says the tape can be taken off, but would have to be replaced with a government approved colour tape. All this for £250.00, plus postage, thats $382.15, what do you think.

Welshman

I think its insanity that the tape would have to be replaced...As for the replica fromt his far, it looks decent, but closer pics would do it better justice.

Welshman,

Which re-enactment group in the UK are you a part of?

Why not buy a deactivated one and all the replicas just dont look right?

You can buy a denix replica for less than that one and from the photo, a denix look's better.

As Sgt Moore says Welshman...an "aged" Denix passes the 10 feet rule.....or save your money and buy a Deact...

regards

Lloyd

Hi

I should have put it as, update on my other post "Why has my Country have a stupid law". hi "fingers", not a member of any re-enactment, if I was, I could buy a replica Garand for £145.00, without postage, what gets me more than anything, when I put my uniform on they let me loose with a live weapon, now I'm out of one, they don't trust me with a replica one.

Welshman

that's so heartbreaking, it's even worse than california by far.

Yes it is. I would of thought that a replica/dummy/deactivated weapon would be marked in a manner that would be difficult to undo. It's a crying shame all of that beautiful wood is buried under what looks like painters tape. Come live in the states, hell we may even let you have a real one ;-)

If weathered correctly a Denix replica will be okay. However, they are all made of monkey metal, so be aware. There are some really decent airsoft weapons out there which are legal to own in the UK providing you have a defense under the violent crime reduction act.

Again like most things, it depends on how much money you have to throw at it. If you have a bit to spend, get a deact. If you are working to a budget then a denix will be fine. Ive had a few denix weapons, but looking at the price/quality of airsoft weapons now id be more inclined to go down that route.

A bit of wire wool and a change of grips. I stained the grips, rubbed in some dirt, brushed it off, varnished them and put more dirt on them. I know they are the world war one style grips but I just like that style :)

is the whole thing just covered in painter's tape?

I don't get it....

Hi BROBS

The tape is to show the police, that its a brightly coloured Safe Rifle :wacko: , I know, you work it out. What I'm thinking now, if I wanted to shoot someone, I'll have the rifle wrapped in a brightly coloured in tape ;) .

Welshman

Without wanting to get into politics at all, I cant understand if your not part of a re-enactment group then why you would want an M1? You can legally posses a deactivated one if you really want one to look at and its going to be much better than any replica as it is the real thing!

We could all move to America but Im happy being a short boat trip away from Normandy and the other battlefields I get to visit every year and not own a live weapon. Win some, lose some!

SergeantMajorGray

Without wanting to get into politics at all, I cant understand if your not part of a re-enactment group then why you would want an M1? You can legally posses a deactivated one if you really want one to look at and its going to be much better than any replica as it is the real thing!

We could all move to America but Im happy being a short boat trip away from Normandy and the other battlefields I get to visit every year and not own a live weapon. Win some, lose some!

I just need to win the lottery and then I'll have the best of both worlds.

Hi fingers

I'm about 2.1/2hrs away from Porstmouth, and about 5hrs from Dover, I've been driving around France and Belgium since 1995, and thats been every year, some times twice in a year, three time one year, have'nt long come back from a trip. If I can, I will go over again this year.

Welshman

I guess I would ask, why pay for a phony or a non firing replica? Do you display reproduction uniforms? While I won't be brash and say move here, I will say that as long as you Europeans, and in some cases Californians keep buying these, there will be a demand. With no demand the supply tends to cease. I would just refuse this option and continue to lobby for the right to own a real weapon. Perhaps even something along the line of a curio and relics permit?

I guess it is easier to say this while living in the U.S. but even here a nice repro M-1 can be had for $250.00. Still I wouldn't own one as long as the law says I can have a real one. If that law changes then I guess I would just have unarmed mannequins. Scott

I used to be a staffer at WW2 re-emactor magazine before it folded, and through a couple of the people there I heard a rumor that either had been or would be a public re-enactment somewhere in the UK where every would (or did) show up with simple wood cutouts in the rough shape of various firearms and the participants all yelled, "Bang!" a lot, all to make a point at how silly the laws had gotten.

That was a brilliant idea, and I'd like to know if it ever came to pass?

I guess I would ask, why pay for a phony or a non firing replica? Do you display reproduction uniforms? While I won't be brash and say move here, I will say that as long as you Europeans, and in some cases Californians keep buying these, there will be a demand. With no demand the supply tends to cease. I would just refuse this option and continue to lobby for the right to own a real weapon. Perhaps even something along the line of a curio and relics permit?

I guess it is easier to say this while living in the U.S. but even here a nice repro M-1 can be had for $250.00. Still I wouldn't own one as long as the law says I can have a real one. If that law changes then I guess I would just have unarmed mannequins. Scott

Scott, Unfortunately the lobbying of a couple of thousand re-enactors/collects will not change the law. If anything we will continue to have our privileges reduced and there will then be no hobby.