Vietnam SKS bringback

mvmhm

I previously posted a large group of Vietnam artifacts...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/181238-large-vietnam-purple-heart-group-and-more/?hl=roark&do=findComment&comment=1392776

His widow brought this in today...she said this is the weapon he took from a VC he killed after being shot by the same guy....I believe that the serial number falls in the 1967 year group...it is matched through out as well......not sure if the story is true, but that's what he told her and I'm not going to argue the point.....

Mark sends

post-3423-0-21567200-1375498353.jpg

post-3423-0-94300700-1375498359.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Nice rifle! I think I'm going ad some bring back rifles to my collection. I will be able to buy them in 2 months :)

Nice bringback. Hopefully you were able to get her to write her story of the capture, maybe get a photo of the vet in Nam also. But nice salty rifle!

I've got as much of his stuff as she can find...medals, uniforms, etc...and 5 photo albums of Vietnam....she still hasn't gone through everything he had stored away, so who knows what's still there...

Mark sends

USCapturephotos

That's great that you are slowly getting the whole grouping. I especially love the bring back bullet because of the history attached to it.

Paul

He apparently had amassed a large gun collection too (in addition to 11 classic cars), and as she goes through that she'll bring in the military weapons...she says he had an M-14, but we'll see.....

Mark sends

If you didn't get the paperwork for the bringback, double check and ask her if the paperwork still exists. For them to really be worth anything they have to have the bringback paperwork from Vietnam. Most of the time the paperwork is gone, but you never know.

If the bringback paperwork is gone, I would have her write something up about her husband bringing it home and have it notarized. It won't make it worth as much as original bringback paperwork. But it would be better than nothing to preserve the story on it.

I have one that I picked up with the paperwork. It's in horrible condition, rusted and beat to crap. But most of them are. I think mine is dated from 67-68 and was brought back I think in 70-71, I can't remember.

I have a 98K bring back from nam- It was horribly rusted, but at some point refinished. Why anyone would bother to refinish such a wreck is beyond me, but...

I'm not worried about the value since it's never going to be sold...I'll get her to write something down just for my records but if there's no paperwork it's not a big deal.

Mark sends

If you didn't get the paperwork for the bringback, double check and ask her if the paperwork still exists. For them to really be worth anything they have to have the bringback paperwork from Vietnam. Most of the time the paperwork is gone, but you never know.

If the bringback paperwork is gone, I would have her write something up about her husband bringing it home and have it notarized. It won't make it worth as much as original bringback paperwork. But it would be better than nothing to preserve the story on it.

I have one that I picked up with the paperwork. It's in horrible condition, rusted and beat to crap. But most of them are. I think mine is dated from 67-68 and was brought back I think in 70-71, I can't remember.

I have a 98K bring back from nam- It was horribly rusted, but at some point refinished. Why anyone would bother to refinish such a wreck is beyond me, but...

I have a bring back SKS that also had been horribly pitted. But the locals built a new stock for it and cleaned it up. The mechanicals were fine and only the surface was deteriorated. Eerily it has never rusted since then even though I have never oiled it. I recently found my DD603 to authenticate.