ANC unusual blouse ID

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

This blouse came in a lot of Army Nurse Corps uniform items I recently acquired. I've not seen this type of blouse before. Any information on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Garth

post-83-0-41447500-1375474612.jpg

post-83-0-66445100-1375474627.jpg

post-83-0-92469200-1375474640.jpg

I think the label gives it away. I don't think this is military-- probably civilian wear, and just named "Army Nurse" because it sort of looks like a uniform shirt. There were lots of "military copy" items of clothing in the civilian arena at various times.

Garth Thompson

I guess I should have clearer as to the source. The blouse came with a large amount of uniforms and items from the estate of a Army Nurse who served in the Persian Gulf Command. She wasn't a civilian but a commissioned officer and nurse.

Garth,

The style of the shirt looks like the khaki summer blouse. I found a close up picture of the blouse in my book "Women for Victory". I also found a picture in the ANC section on the Blitzkrieg website. If the page posted below doesn't take you directly to the picture of the shirt, I found it in the miscellaneous area of the ANC section.

http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm

I have not found a picture of this tag but will keep looking.

Thanks, Kat

Looks like private purchase shirt, as an officer she would have had to buy her own.

Terry,

I have not read anywhere that they had to buy their own uniforms. Where did you hear this?

I am not saying you are wrong. I just don't remember ever reading this fact.

On the Blitzkrieg website under the page "Facts about the ANC", it says

"Furthermore, Army nurses received free food and lodging, free supply of clothing and equipment, as well as free medical and dental services."

Thanks, Kat

Garth,

One more thing... I just did a google search on "as designed by hal raymond" with all of this in quotes.

There was another shirt on Worthpoint with this same tag. I don't have a membership to Worthpoint to

look closer but now I am starting to think this might be an issue shirt and not a private purchase. I don't

know for sure but I hope this helps.

...Kat

memphis_belle

This blouse came in a lot of Army Nurse Corps uniform items I recently acquired. I've not seen this type of blouse before. Any information on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Garth

It's a commercial-produced women's cotton waist permitted for private purchase by army nurses during World War II. Unlike the army-issuance version, this garment has a more fashionable design; sleeve cuffs reinforced with a two-button closure; and a beige or pinkish coloration that was considered more effeminate than the military khaki shade.

If you have a copy of "Women for Victory", take a look at page 171. There is the same waist with identical label.

If you have a copy of "Women for Victory", take a look at page 171. There is the same waist with identical label.

I have a copy of the book which is great! I saw the shirt but missed the label. I will have to look closer later.

Thanks for adding to the thread. I was hoping you would see this thread. :)

Garth Thompson

Ladies and gents thanks for the replies. Clears things up on this blouse.

Garth

• 3 weeks later...

I have not read anywhere that they had to buy their own uniforms.

Hi Kat,

I am sorry I missed your question, I really don't know why. I was told all officers had to buy their uniforms, even if given an allowance, they still had to buy them. It could have been from the Army or civilian sources.

Terry

I am sorry I missed your question, I really don't know why. I was told all officers had to buy their uniforms, even if given an allowance, they still had to buy them. It could have been from the Army or civilian sources.

Terry,

I asked someone who knows a lot about the ANC and was told:

"Nurses were provided uniforms, however, there were a number of items that could be purchased at nurse's own expense"

..Kat

Terry,

I am not trying to be argumentative. :) I am just trying to figure out the truth. I believe some of the uniforms were provided and then some could be purchased. I will look thru my books to see if I can find any documentation.

Thanks, Kat

Hi Kat,

I know you are just trying to figure out the truth, no problem. When I was in the Marines(40+Yrs ago) they "issued" our uniforms but was told that we actually paid for it out of our pay. Later if we needed anything new that was our problem and we had to come up with the money ourselves. Even if mandated we payed for the new items. I understood that is how it was with the WW2 officers.

Terry

While nurses in Theater (overseas) were issued their initial set of ODs for free beginning in the summer of 1943, not totally sure about those stateside. Plus, it was a minimum set (consisting of 3 waists (blouses)). If they needed/wanted more, they could buy them at clothing sales or at commecial vendors.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

uniforms were issued as standard, but nurses were permitted to buy or have tailored "private purchase" items as long as they complied with the nursing unform standards etc, I have seen several private purchase handbags, shoes and the like and as long as they were the correct colour, size, heel height etc then they were permitted, mostly for off duty wear. I guess some things they just wanted that little bit nicer?

regards

lisa