Signal Corp phone help...

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-FIELD-PHONE-MILITARY-VINTAGE-WW2-WWII-TO-KOREA-CANVAS-CASE-SIGNAL-CORPS-d-/370865306727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56594b7c67#ht_406wt_919

Can someone help me with this and tell me if it's legit or worth it. Not good with field gear as all but looking to acquire more odds and ends....Thanks guys!

TheGrayGhost

Looks proper to me. These were used later in the war and replaced the costlier leather case. What it is worth is up to you.

Yes I'm looking to get a pair of these online again and was checking out this auction as well.

The set looks good and was planning to bid on this as well ( don't worry I'm going to pass this one up). I was told that the leather cases came first and these treated canvas cases came out during the war as the leather ones rotted in the tropics. The going prices for these tend to be in the $50-$75 range so don't bid too high, they are actually very common.

I was inspired to get a set as they can easily get started again if you have a set. My friends at their Korea Display at Ft MacArthur Living History Event had a pair in operation. One was in their tent the other in their trench, it was a hit at their display and I was very impressed. I just traded for a set and working on getting another. It actually a fun working WWII item that is still usable.

You can download the manual online if you look for it on Google.

Good Luck.

I have a working set of EE8 field telephones too! I purchased 4 broken ones and got 2 working ones using parts from each. Although I am a telecommunications engineer in my day job, I still needed the field manual to get to know how the old components function.

The manual you need is here:

http://www.easy39th.com/files/TM_11-333_Telephones_EE-8,_EE-8-A_and_EE-8-B_1950.pdf

I found a lot of the older EE8-A telephones had the battery springs corroded. Like most the components, you can get spares. Cords are easy to make up with a piece of flexible 3 core electric cable with electronic crimps on the end.

Best of luck,

• 2 months later...

Here is a bit of trivia re the double E 8 telephone: The telephone can be used without batteries in an emergency by cranking the ring generater and talking at the same time into the mouth piece of the handset.

Lindy