'Lone Survivor' SEAL Team movie trailer released

filupe

I saw the movie yesterday and was amazed by how well it was done, it is one that I will most likely see again. The tribute at the end was very touching as well.

Philip

I have seen the movie yesterday as it was just released in France on a handful of screens. I have a very limited knowledge of modern special warfare units, but the opening part seems to be an accurate portrait of life in a SEAL team.

The opening scenes are from the documentary that followed class 234 through BUDS. It was on the Discovery Channel, if I recall.

The opening scenes are from the documentary that followed class 234 through BUDS. It was on the Discovery Channel, if I recall.

Correct

Actual footage of Hell Week and the Water/Surf exercises and phsical training.One SEAL I know described lying in the cold surf as having sand in places you never would imagine if you lived a 150 years. :D Plus the constantly being imersed in cold water or being hosed down.

This movie was great! A testiment to the rugedness, tenacity, and courage of the SEALS. Obviously some of the plot details were exagerated for dramatic affect but the story is heroic even if the movie was half true!

Overall, I really liked the movie, but I didn't care for the "rescue" scene at the end of the movie - totally bogus. In real life (ie., the "book"), it was nothing like that. Luttrell and the Afghan villager left the village and were rescued with little fanfare in the woods by Army Rangers. I can understand that the "cavalry to the rescue/shootem' up" scenes help sell movies, but I would have prefered the actual version of how he was protected by the villagers and then rescued. The movie was very good. The book was great.

The "rescue" scene was blown out of proportion for sure. He was picked up by an HH-60G helicopter and that was depicted in the movie, but it was a night time pick-up. The "three days earlier" lead off was in error as well. He was picked up on 3 July 2005. I know the helicopter bubbas who flew the mission and they are in my sister squadron. They also recovered Dietz and Murphy on 4 July 2005.

I was on the last mission on 10 July 2005 to recover Axelson. I went to see the movie last night with the flight engineer that I flew the mission with and overall the movie was pretty good. Luttrell goes into the recovery of his teammates in his second book "Service." I consider it a privilege to be part of Operation Red Wings II.