WWI Gas Mask Week - July 30th-August 2nd.

RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

Just moved the last two installments in.

This concludes the WWI Gas Mask week. We hope everyone enjoyed the threads and remember, we encourage discussion of the masks even if the featured week is over; so keep on posting!

Thanks!

RC

PS, Next week we'll try to have another item featured.

• 1 year later...

I have a gas mask that my grandfather brought back from WW1. On the back of the sack the mask is carried in, he wrote his name and info. GySgt Noyes V Moore 96th Co. 6th Marines. It is in his hand writing. He was promoted to GySgt June 1, 1919. I am thinking he wrote his name on it when they knew they were heading home soon.

My question is - how, if possible, can I find out if this gas mask is the one he wore on the night of June 13/14, 1918 at Belleau Wood with the 96th Company? Noyes and about 150 others of the 96th were gassed and soon were off to the hospital. His service records do not indicate a gas mask being supplied, just wondering how masks were given out, what became of the ones that were used, is it possible they were re-used?

Thanks!

I have a gas mask that my grandfather brought back from WW1. On the back of the sack the mask is carried in, he wrote his name and info. GySgt Noyes V Moore 96th Co. 6th Marines. It is in his hand writing. He was promoted to GySgt June 1, 1919. I am thinking he wrote his name on it when they knew they were heading home soon.

My question is - how, if possible, can I find out if this gas mask is the one he wore on the night of June 13/14, 1918 at Belleau Wood with the 96th Company? Noyes and about 150 others of the 96th were gassed and soon were off to the hospital. His service records do not indicate a gas mask being supplied, just wondering how masks were given out, what became of the ones that were used, is it possible they were re-used?

Thanks!

He probably would not have taken home a mask exposed to gas. Masks and filters had a wearout period and would be exchanged if actually exposed to poison gas. The AEF handed out brand new masks and helmets as souvenirs to returning Soldiers and Marines after the war ended. Is the record card still with the mask? That will help.