US Army Air Assault

Hi guys,
this is a US Army Air Assault badge.
No hallmark (just the usual "1/20 SF" marking).

I guess it has been made by Vanguard or Meyer: what are your thoughts about?

Thank you for looking!

Typical Air Assault Badge.I have one like it and it was purchased at Ft,Campell in 1979.

My brother-in-laws whole guard unit went through the school in July of 79 and they all gort this wing.First time a entire guard unit went through a school togsther and they all graduated at the same time.It was summer camp for them...D Troop 1/194th Air Cav from Waterloo Iowa.

It might be Krew or any number of other companies but I like the wear on the nose of the helicopter showing it has been worn. I mentioned Krew because these are two Air Assault badges in my collection. The top one is the only one I've ever come across that is sterling marked and made by Polar Flight which is hard to make out on the lower left upside down. The top one also has a more elongated helicopter than the norm (bottom). Has anyone else ever come across another a sterling marked Air Assault badge or one with a different shape?

post-1389-0-72778400-1375301458.jpg

triplecanopy

Here are two examples of Jeweler made Air Assault badges. The top one is just marked 925 and the lower one is marked Crisolli and STERLING. I'll post the front in the next photo.

post-48217-0-77885600-1375303104.jpg

triplecanopy

Here are some older Air Assault insignia from the early 1960's. The 11th Air Assault Division (Test) was the unit that further developed helicopter warfare at Fort Benning. The original Air Assault badge was awarded to soldiers who mastered helicopter rappelling, rigging and other combat skills associated with helicopter assaults.

post-48217-0-66651500-1375303472.jpg

firefighter

Nice looking badges.I still like the original one from the 11th Air Assault Div.To me it just looks a little more Bad A**.

army-insignia.jpg

triplecanopy

I'm glad we have had some interest in this subject. Thanks to Tonomachi and Firefighter.

Here is a suggested prototype that was never approved for wear that combines the parachute badge and air assault badge into one. It is more of a novelty item and has no marking on the back. Interesting though...

post-48217-0-19165600-1375303991.jpg

triplecanopy

Here are a couple more Air Assault Badges: The top one is made by NS Meyer and has their 22M mark as well as the shield and name. The bottom two are Williams Brothers, both marked GI. I don't have a Krew and the Polar Flight marked one in Tonomachi's post is one I've never seen or even heard of. That is quite unique. I would love to learn more about it. Thanks. I hope this info is useful.

post-48217-0-18498600-1375304817.jpg

Thanks to all you guys, your opinions are precious to me since I know very little about Paratrooper and Air Assault badges.

I see many very good badges, thanks for sharing them!

Here are two examples of Jeweler made Air Assault badges. The top one is just marked 925 and the lower one is marked Crisolli and STERLING. I'll post the front in the next photo.

These two wings look like the jeweler took an regular air assault badge and cast these using sterling silver. Afterwards the hallmarks and pins were added. Do you have any idea where these were made? Was there a jeweler on or off post making these for soldiers or something special ordered from a mail order company?

triplecanopy

I agree. I believe that they are both cast. If I recall correctly, I ordered one from a Jeweler in California and the other (marked 925) I bought in Thailand. I've never seen a GI Sterling silver hallmarked Air Assault badge. All have been 1/20th SF or not marked at all besides the manufacturers code. Sometime in the middle to late 60's the Government stopped ordering sterling badges. I believe it coincided with them ceasing production of silver coins. I know sterling badges were available in the clothing sales stores well into the 1980's and some sterling badges continued to be made for PX sales. Whatever the exact date, Sterling Govt. issued badges came to a halt by 1969 even though stocks were used until exhausted.

triplecanopy

You are welcome. I wanted to ask you about the Polar Flight badge. It looks similar to the Assman Badges made in Germany. Is there any connection? Do you know where it was manufactured?

Thanks.

I bought the Polar Flight Air Assault badge probably 25 years ago and I think I've come across only one since. I remember It was with a Polar Flight US basic clutch back paratrooper wing with the same hallmarks which I could kick myself for not buying but I had run out of money. The only thing I know about this wing is that it is post war and I've seen the hallmark of Polar Flight on a flight wing before.

By the way the bottom two air assault badges in Post 12 I have as being made by the William & Anderson Company which might be an earlier name for Williams Brothers. The William & Anderson Company has supposedly been around since 1934 but they were still using the same name as of 1967.

I collect the 11th Air Assault badges as well and have three in my collection. There are copies but I believe these are original. The first is not marked, second is marked sterling and the third Gemsco N.Y. just like your piece.

post-1389-0-42649300-1375315827.jpg