What is the US Militaria Forum? - Frequently Asked Questions

RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

Welcome and thanks for visiting us!

You may be wondering, just what is the USMilitariaForum and what do we talk about? The USMilitariaForum is a forum dedicated to discussing American Militaria of past and present, we are interested in learning about the Veterans who served in all of the nation's branches in war and peacetime. We are a community of 17,000+ members interested in collecting, learning, and preserving our military history past and present.

The top 10 Questions & Answers:

Question: What is "Militaria"?

A: Militaria is just about anything that was worn/carried/issued to a member of the armed forces. This can include anything from a helmet or uniform, to a footlocker or shoulder patch. Militaria consists of too much to list individually, but it is just about everything they were issued/awarded/wore/carried.

Question: Isn't "Militaria" just old military antiques?

A: No. Militaria includes items that are less than 100 years old, in fact two of the more popular time periods of collecting are World War II and the Vietnam War. There is also a large following of more recent wars since Vietnam such as Desert Storm, OEF and even OIF.

Question: Can you tell me what my parents or grandparents did in the war?

A: No. But we can help you learn about what you have, photos of a servicemember in uniform can tell a lot about where they went and when they served. We also have a section devoted to researching your veteran.

Question: I found a trunk of old military stuff, what is it and what should I do with it?

A: Start a new post and include as many photos of the items you find, our membership consists of over 17,000+ and they can help you identify what everything is.

Question: Someone wanted to buy some old family military stuff, but I don't know what it is or what it is worth.

A: We have a section for just such a scenario called "What's it worth", try posting your items there to get an idea of what they may be worth.

Question: Does it cost money to join the forum, or to ask questions?

A: No, the forum is free to join. There are no dues or fees charged to join or post.

Question: I found some old German stuff in a footlocker from WWII, can I post that?

A: We are focused on US militaria, however we do have a section where people can post "spoils of war" they have found mixed in groupings or footlocker of servicemembers.

Question: Can I find a place to discuss battles and campaigns the US military took part in?

A: Yes, we have a section devoted to historical discussion.

Question: Is this only for old Army stuff?

A: No, we discuss all branches of the US Military, past and present. Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, Air Force, Merchant Marine, reserves, etc.

Question: How can I join?

A: All you need to do is click "create account" and follow the directions. We look forward to welcoming you as a member of the forum!

• 3 weeks later...

To the "management"...a FAQ section on operations within the forum might be helpful. Some questions that come to mind are:

1) How to contact an administrator?

2) What administrator is best to contact about specific subjects, if there is specialization among them?

3) How to PM another member?

Other newer members or infrequent users will be able to come up with many more questions. The easier to find useful info, the better for all.

RustyCanteen

To the "management"...a FAQ section on operations within the forum might be helpful. Some questions that come to mind are:

1) How to contact an administrator?

2) What administrator is best to contact about specific subjects, if there is specialization among them?

3) How to PM another member?

Other newer members or infrequent users will be able to come up with many more questions. The easier to find useful info, the better for all.

Hi,

We have a section devoted to answering those questions: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-help/

1. To contact an Adminstrator all a member has to do is send a PM by clicking the Admin's name and then "Send me a Message".

2. We all have specific interests, but we are all one team.

3. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171588-how-to-send-a-private-message/

RC