"upper" suspension rings on original 1910 pack carrier

Marchville1918

Marchville1918

Does anyone know the purpose of the "upper" suspension rings on the original 1910 pack carrier? There are pictures of them in the early manuals , but no text explanation for there use and they were deleted from the later version of the pack carrier.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upper" suspension rings. The only rings with which I am familiar are the rings at the bottom (narrow) end of the carrier. those are used to connect to the pack suspenders when the pack is attached to the haversack. Do you have a photo?

Marchville1918

You will only see the "Upper" suspension rings on the first pattern 1910 pack carrier. There is a picture shown in the section above on "How to Assemble the 1910 pack" in the first of the copied manuals which is for Naval troops. ----but having showen them it makes no explanation for their use.

Here is a picture of what is being discussed. The early pack tails had both upper and lower suspension rings. As for the proper uses, I don't know the answer to that. I had a heck of a time assembling my M1910 haversack and all of my straps are hooked to the ammo belt. As far as accuracy of my display, I think I may have some things wrong. I wish someone with a complete WWI setup would do an in depth video on the proper assembly.

post-104697-13753192206845.jpg