A real bring back Railway Eagle

USCapturephotos

USCapturephotos

This turned up in a baseball card shop not far from my house this year. The vets son brought it in along with booklets, insignia and other things the veteran had brought home. I was able to get all of it. This is not the best picture but you can see where the veteran painted his unit information. Also in small letters carved into the Eagle is the German city of Bremerhaven. There is one hole in the right wing where the bolt was pulled through. On the back you can see marks left from attempts by the GI to pry the eagle off before they finally cut the bolts. Obviously the US vet was in the 722nd Railway Operating Battalion so had great access to one of these. The white paint says "Taken from a German locomotive at Bremerhaven Germany with the 722nd Railway Operating Battalion. Along with other NSDAP insignia there were tie clips and other things related to German railway people so I have a feeling that the vet was grabbing stuff out of drawers along with getting the eagle.

Paul

post-100030-0-22459300-1375191486.jpg

USCapturephotos

Hey thanks. I love vet souvenirs and was always hoping to find one of these. When you see it in person it is "salty" but I love it!

Paul

USCapturephotos

Thanks Daniel. I am really really happy with it. I love the GI personalized stuff. I have an SA dagger where the GI carved all the town names he had been through on the wood handle. Dagger collectors would hate this but it is what makes it special to me.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Thanks Daniel. I am really really happy with it. I love the GI personalized stuff. I have an SA dagger where the GI carved all the town names he had been through on the wood handle. Dagger collectors would hate this but it is what makes it special to me.

Paul

really cool to me as well, and here's something similar!

William Kramer

post-83697-0-41641500-1381272546.jpg

post-83697-0-64546800-1381272601.jpg