Finally in my new house!

doinworkinvans

Yea that amazed me too at the amount of bodies on those fragile wings. I think you have a good idea there about it probably being a beauty queen just for photos!

This style of group photo was quite common. There are many similar RAF ones from WW2 with the squadron members usually sitting/standing just like the guys in your photo, but on a Lancaster bomber.

• 2 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

Again, just another little quick update...just wanted something WW1 and helmets are always good so I picked up this m1917 from a fellow forum member. Pretty good specimen, all that is missing the wool/fuzzy stuff thats normally inside.

2013-08-26 20.01.40.jpg

doinworkinvans

And as a LOTTTT of you may have seen my recent post on this uniform (LOL) ...after more reading and research I am happy with it. It now looks right at home...

2013-08-26 20.02.55.jpg

I like how you've been able to get your uniforms out, and display them.

A couple little tricks which will change the appearance of the display:

a) get the same type of hangar for each uniform (I'm partial to wood, and good enough hangars to be curved a little). I want to say "uniform hangars!" but that may have a different implication from what I'm getting at.

B) space the hangars a uniform distance from each other (3 fingers is a good start point).

This works well till you collect more uniforms than you have linear feet of hanging space :)

Steve

doinworkinvans

I like how you've been able to get your uniforms out, and display them.

A couple little tricks which will change the appearance of the display:

a) get the same type of hangar for each uniform (I'm partial to wood, and good enough hangars to be curved a little). I want to say "uniform hangars!" but that may have a different implication from what I'm getting at.

B) space the hangars a uniform distance from each other (3 fingers is a good start point).

This works well till you collect more uniforms than you have linear feet of hanging space :)

Steve

Thanks Steve! I should def get them all on the same hanger. That's a great idea! I will get on that tomorrow for sure. Hopefully I will run out of room soon!

• 2 weeks later...
doinworkinvans

Thanks to some good tips from the wonderful members here I was able to score a couple of display heads at the Hobby Lobby with the coupon they had over the weekend. Never would have thought to look there otherwise. Any way here is what I added to them. Got these 2 babies off the book shelf and out on display. Bancroft crusher and an ANH15 summer flying helmet.

Oh and I put all the uniforms on matching hangers, just didnt snap that picture.

That is all for now!

2013-09-08 12.31.22.jpg

doinworkinvans

OK - so obviously had a little extra time today. Wanted to add some real pop to the "room". So I figured I would try my hand at a home made mannequin. It doesnt look too bad, not bad for one afternoon and some free wood!

2013-09-08 21.26.57.jpg

• 4 months later...
doinworkinvans

Been a while - figured I would update with some pictures that are more recent. As most of you know most of my collection has evolved into the CBI AAF realm...But still love it all!! B)

If you want more pics or closer pics or more info on anything shoot me line - I am always here!!

Daniel

1.jpg

doinworkinvans

SSI thus far....Thanks for looking guys and gals! Going to hopefully be adding some more "flare" to the walls this weekend...

8.jpg

Looking good, sir! Nice to have your own room to display your collection, isn't it?!

Funny how with this hobby you find yourself going to craft stores more than you have you're entire life. Nothing like spending a Saturday looking at frames, matting, etc. It's even more sad when you enjoy it more than your wife!

My favorite would have to be the moments I've spent in the scrapbooking section, all the while thinking to myself, "What the hell is a man, in his early 30's, doing in the scrapbooking section of AC Moore"? But, how else a I supposed to store period photos, ephemera and patches! Stuffed away in some box or bin like an animal would?

Just be careful; suddenly your collection will grow and it'll start migrating into other rooms of the house! Trust me, I know from experience; thankfully, my wife is forgiving....

doinworkinvans

Ha - good point! Thankfully I have a VERY understanding one as well!!!

That why I am trying to stay focused focused focused - as much as I can be!!!

I was just going to say, sounds like you're on the right track, focusing primarily on AAF and more specifically CBI items.

For me, my collecting interests are all over the place and change like the wind....medals, helmets, unfiforms, etc. My only real focus is I prefer out of the wood work/on the ground items compared to Ebay or online purchases.

All that aside, you have a great display going. Out of curiousity, are the Air Medal and DFC in post #6 attributed/named to anyone? Would be interested in hearing about them if they were.