What is this USGI .308 Winchester Barrel for?

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Ok, I'm posting this for a friend and have no knowledge base whatsoever when it comes to guns. He was wondering what this was for. Marked ".308 Win" produced by Winchester (I think the W.R.). My buddy tells me the other markings make it USGI or something to that extent. The barrel is chambered for .308 and is like new, but the action is a ww1 mauser (and worn)...Any thoughts as to what gun the barrel was originally intended for? Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-66589800-1375141562.jpg

post-1800-0-76046800-1375141563.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

Thanks Hawk...I think someone definitely added the barrel, but he's trying to find out what gun the barrel, by itself went to...he says its USGI. Thanks ABN

I think the GHD/WR markings are not original. The whole thing looks like an abandoned attempt by a gunsmith to re-barrel a Mauser action to make a sporting rifle. The markings were probably added by another person to make it look like a Mann Accuracy Device (photo here: http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/images/MannBarrel.jpg) which it vaguely resembles (though not by much). If it was military, it would have been marked 7.62 NATO.

Spathologist

The .308 Winchester wasn't developed until many years after Broburg (WB) and Drewry (GHD) stopped inspecting weapons.

Sgt Saunders

It appears to be some type of early Mauser action with a straight bolt. Maybe one of those 93 or 95 Mauser that was rebarrled to 308 and imported.

Those 7.62 Nato conversions were done by Chile to their Model 1895s with a poorly-fitted chamber insert, not a new barrel. Besides that, the barrel is not the correct profile or length for an infantry rifle. Also, the action is a large ring Mauser action (Chilean rifles used the small ring action).

I am not 100% sure ,but I think the barrel is from a 30 cal 1917 a1,or ANM2 aircraft gun.If I am correct the barrel has been rechambered,and rethreaded to fit the rifle action. The 308 markings are hand stamped, and probably done by whoever did the gunsmithing.

Spathologist

I am not 100% sure ,but I think the barrel is from a 30 cal 1917 a1,or ANM2 aircraft gun.If I am correct the barrel has been rechambered,and rethreaded to fit the rifle action. The 308 markings are hand stamped, and probably done by whoever did the gunsmithing.

To re-chamber the barrel they'd have to cut it. Doesn't look like a cut 1917 barrel to my eyes.

Groove, if 1917 would have been approximately where cut to rechamber was made. Also anm2 mg barrel looks like 1917 mg barrel without the groove.