"BATTLIN PETE" WWII MERCHANT MARINE PATCH

OD-Blue-Top

OD-Blue-Top

Here is a 5 inch WWII Merchant Marine patch I picked up with some WWII patches. James

post-5916-0-63028300-1375136089.jpg

OD-Blue-Top

Thank you Tonomachi, I did not know what the flags spelled. James

• 4 months later...
Patchcollector

I've never seen one worn,but I would guess that they put them on jackets.I don't think there is any specific meaning,just that it is a Merchant Marine "Mascot" piece created for the MM by Walt Disney.

• 1 year later...

I found a framed Merchant Marine patch recently, fresh from an estate. Unfortunately I couldn't get any information on the owner. It has a few differences from the one pictured above but I'm pretty sure it's a good one. For what it's worth it doesn't glow under blacklight. Any idea on the value of these? I couldn't find any authentic ones for sale online. (This one isn't for sale but I'd just like to have a general idea what these go for.)

post-265-0-59435400-1440716285.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey all, sorry to post in this old thread, but as a former Mariner, I have to comment on this patch.

I believe that this is a variation of the actual WW2 USMM patch. The nautical flags reading "USS" stands for the "United Seamen's Service", I believe. The USS operates seamen's centers at ports around the world, catering to sailors from all nations.

So, it's basically a souvenir, not the actual issue patch.

Still cool, though!

Hey all, sorry to post in this old thread, but as a former Mariner, I have to comment on this patch.

I believe that this is a variation of the actual WW2 USMM patch. The nautical flags reading "USS" stands for the "United Seamen's Service", I believe. The USS operates seamen's centers at ports around the world, catering to sailors from all nations.

So, it's basically a souvenir, not the actual issue patch.

Still cool, though!

Hmmm, Interesting. I have always seen this advertised as a WW2 patch for the United States Merchant Marines that served aboard United States Ships - hence the "USS" signal flags. Patch design seems a little too aggressive for port side Seamen's Centers. This may help clear up any confusion:

http://www.usmm.org/disney.html

Jeffro

• 2 years later...

I just came across this photograph of someone actually wearing this patch which isn't mine but I thought others would like to see it as it looks like a period piece.

post-1389-0-33233000-1567544378_thumb.jpg

I forgot I had these images which I got from somewhere but unless this patch was added afterwards here is a uniform with the patch sewn on the let shoulder. My father was a merchant mariner during WW2 before he was drafted into the Army and I remember him telling me that the only time they ever wore any type of uniform was while attending the US Maritime School.

post-1389-0-69226300-1567547590.jpg

post-1389-0-02734300-1567547611.jpg

post-1389-0-87627500-1567547629.jpg

post-1389-0-51657200-1567547642.jpg

post-1389-0-66361900-1567547653.jpg

this photo came with another photo of him in a wool long sleeve shirt and suspenders. No other insignia.

Working on colorizing this one.

post-122868-0-22471800-1567827445.jpg