Why has my Country have a stupid law

Welshman

Hi

For me to buy a replica Garand Rifle in my Country, I have to:

(1) Be Member of a re-enactment group.

(2) Be In fims or television.

(3) Have a Museum or Gallery.

(4) Be a Crown Servant.

But buying my Deactivated, 1917, 303 S.M.L.E, I only had to have a the Deactivated Certificate, which came with it, can you work this out, because I can't.

Welshman

littlebuddy

Welshman dont get me started on this !! it really boils my p*** !! espicially if you have an early De-act which does everything but have a firing pin !!!

Freaking crazy !!!

LB

Welshman dont get me started on this !! it really boils my p*** !! espicially if you have an early De-act which does everything but have a firing pin !!!

Freaking crazy !!!

LB

It was deactivated in 1998, I bought it in 1999, yes it has all the moving parts,

littlebuddy

so how hard is it in this country of ours to get a new barrel and bolt for such a rifle ??? not hard at all !! probably even easier and quicker than to buy a de-act !!!

work that out !!!

LB

What happened was the Crown had a heck of a fight with some colonists who kept guns in their homes and after that decided, the heck with that, we're going to make sure only state has weapons. So on behalf of the former American colonies, I wish to apologize for bringing that down upon you Welsh, Scots and others who had to stay under the Crown's jurisdiction: one bad kid can spoil it for everyone else.

littlebuddy

Bob i think it stems from incidents that started happening over here in the 1980's to be honest !!

many a crazed idiot deciding to take on the world over here !!

enough said from me on the subject before i get to involved

LB

Bob i think it stems from incidents that started happening over here in the 1980's to be honest !!

No, it was because of the 1700's incidents, but Parliament - as with most governments - moves so slowly that it only got to the top of the agenda in the 1980's :)

So are you saying it is illegal to own a deact Garand rifle unless you can qualify under 1to 4 as above ?

If this is the case when did the law change ? Or have I read this wrong ?

Rich

littlebuddy

So are you saying it is illegal to own a deact Garand rifle unless you can qualify under 1to 4 as above ?

If this is the case when did the law change ? Or have I read this wrong ?

Rich

no!!!! you can own a de-act !!!!

just not a replica !!!!

littlebuddy

so basically the law says you cant have a toy but you can have the real thing !!!!!

Johan Willaert

The only way to have a law changed is to vote for people who will actually just do that...

While venting your feelings on boards like this may give you a good feeling, it will not change the law...

Moving to another country might be an option...

littlebuddy

neither of the 3 partys in our goverment would or will do that Johan ! as for moving to another country ? that is out of the question

so im going to shut up and say no more on the subject !! zipped !!

By Replica I take it you mean an Airsoft rifle. For most Collectors or re-enacters a Deact is fine and costs about the same as a replica.

I'd love to put rounds down the range but sadly that's never going to happen ever again in the UK. That chunk of metal and wood will have to do !!!!!!!

Rich

SergeantMajorGray

It's sad so many firearms over there have been deactivated. It was bad enough they couldn't fire at least they could still move now they are welding them up :(

AAF_Collection

Under UK law the term replica refers to any replica, including wood or plastic dummies. To use another situation similar to that which Welshman describes, As an individual I can go out and buy a real but deactivated Browning.50 M2, complete with an intact right sideplate, but if I want a replica made from wood with no moving parts I have fall under 1 to 4 as described.

It is possible to own virtually any weapon in the UK if you obtain the correct permit, but obtaining the permit(licence) is virtually impossible for anything more than a shotgun or hunting/bolt action rifle.

It's sad so many firearms over there have been deactivated. It was bad enough they couldn't fire at least they could still move now they are welding them up :(

I know Sg.

it hurts my soul to see some of these beautiful firearms turned into nothing more than a paperweight. :(

Over here in NSW you can't own a replica or a deac of anything. Can't own BB guns, air rifles or any toy closely resembling a firearm.... total ban...

Made it impossible for honest citizens owning a firearm, but did it stop criminals, hell no, actually just today in the news there were 2 fatal shootings a 18 yr old bikie and a debt collector got killed...

ColdWarRules

if you want to riot, do it like Americans...use everything and anything in reach. Thats how we riot ;)

-Nick

Thank you for the reminder of the gun-free "utopia" that could become reality for us Yanks if we don't remain vigilant against the anti-gun activists!

And my sympathy for your hassles.

As a reminder of how it was in the UK in the not-so-distant past, my wife's mum, aunts and cousins are visiting from their native Austria and I'm taking them shooting today. On deck are the 1917 Mauser C96 Broomhandle, the 1954 M1 Garand, the modern-construct M1911, and the 1942 Winchester Model 1912 12ga, among other modern pistols. Safe. Fun. Meaningful. Freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Over here in NSW you can't own a replica or a deac of anything. Can't own BB guns, air rifles or any toy closely resembling a firearm.... total ban...

Made it impossible for honest citizens owning a firearm, but did it stop criminals, hell no, actually just today in the news there were 2 fatal shootings a 18 yr old bikie and a debt collector got killed...

Hi machinko. And here's me moaning, we can own a air rifle over here, if you over 18, the power is 12ft/lbs or under, any think over, we need a gun licence.

YankeeSpirit76

Wow, I didn't realize how tough your laws are around the world. I was looking into buying a fully automatic Thompson submachine gun a few years ago. The only reason I couldn't get it is that it is waaaay more than I could afford. Now, seeing how bad you guys have it, I feel kinda guilty for some reason. I won't even go into the handguns I have, and that I carry a .45 everywhere I go. I hate the way you are treated by your own governments, like, you can't be trusted with anything...sorry Brothers.