Can you identify these bombs?

jagjetta

As you can see from the attached photo, I have two 100-lb tail-fuse bombs. However, I can't identify them! The only markings are yellow stencilled "G-P Bomb 100lb". I THINK they may be M38-A6 bombs (stencilling I found on another bomb) but I cannot find any information onthat bomb either. Are they WWII vintage?

THank you!

John Adams-Graf

Jackson, Missouri USA

post-949-1207861168.jpg

M38A2 Practice Bombs - Post WWII

Thank you Jon! That is a good photo and certainly is da' bomb (sorry...been wanting to say that all day).

JAG

When they were pulled from service in the early 70's they were in just about every surplus store you'd walk in.

They still show up quite often. Check that auction site for "practice bomb".

When they were pulled from service in the early 70's they were in just about every surplus store you'd walk in.

They still show up quite often. Check that auction site for "practice bomb".

JonG is exactly right! Came out of a surplus store. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

The original color of those bombs is the light blue which is showing through in spots. The Olive drab paint and stenciling is probably just somebody trying to make a 100 lb., formerly sand filled practice bomb look a little more menacing. The M38A2 practice bombs were used extensively during WW2. I have an original photo of the bomb storage area from Greenville Army Air Base, SC. It shows a huge stack of hundreds of M38A2 bombs in the cardboard shipping boxes awaiting use.

One of the bombing ranges for Greenville was in Union County, S.C. and I spent many hours walking through the woods looking for bombs dropped by Greenville-based B-25s. Most of the M38A2 bombs were mangled from hitting the ground but I was able to find guite a few which were in good condition. Some had a plain sheet metal cap in the tail section where 100 lbs. of sand from the Saluda River near Piedmont, S.C. was poured in. Some though were still equipped with a bursting charge which fit into the same hole in the tail section. A percussion fuse went off when the bomb struck the ground which made the impact of the bomb easier to see from the aircraft. I found some of those which were probably still live. Other bombs found at Union were 23 lb. parachute bombs (parafrags), cannisters, and cluster adapters, M-48 incendiary, M-56 thermate incendiary, and M-69 incendiary bombs. Another section of the range was used for high explosives, but we never hunted there.

I have the correct WW2 era stenciling for your bombs if you are interested. It would have been in white on the overall light blue bomb bodylocated just behind the front lug.

parafrag

• 1 year later...

What is the typical value range of these bombs? There are a few available here in my neck of the woods, but asking price is 250$, which to me seems pretty spendy.... Chris...

Johnny Signor

I painted up one some years ago with a Bombardment squadron emblem and brief history etc and it ended up in a book put out by Cockpit N.Y. as one of thier collected items .

They make a great over the fireplace/on mantel conversation item ,the 381st Bomb group had one in thier office painted red-white-blue with the unit title on it in WW2 .

• 9 years later...

The original color of those bombs is the light blue which is showing through in spots. The Olive drab paint and stenciling is probably just somebody trying to make a 100 lb., formerly sand filled practice bomb look a little more menacing. The M38A2 practice bombs were used extensively during WW2. I have an original photo of the bomb storage area from Greenville Army Air Base, SC. It shows a huge stack of hundreds of M38A2 bombs in the cardboard shipping boxes awaiting use.

One of the bombing ranges for Greenville was in Union County, S.C. and I spent many hours walking through the woods looking for bombs dropped by Greenville-based B-25s. Most of the M38A2 bombs were mangled from hitting the ground but I was able to find guite a few which were in good condition. Some had a plain sheet metal cap in the tail section where 100 lbs. of sand from the Saluda River near Piedmont, S.C. was poured in. Some though were still equipped with a bursting charge which fit into the same hole in the tail section. A percussion fuse went off when the bomb struck the ground which made the impact of the bomb easier to see from the aircraft. I found some of those which were probably still live. Other bombs found at Union were 23 lb. parachute bombs (parafrags), cannisters, and cluster adapters, M-48 incendiary, M-56 thermate incendiary, and M-69 incendiary bombs. Another section of the range was used for high explosives, but we never hunted there.

I have the correct WW2 era stenciling for your bombs if you are interested. It would have been in white on the overall light blue bomb bodylocated just behind the front lug.

parafrag

Hello,

I've found a M38A2 practise bomb and it needs to be repainted. Is it possible to have the WW2 era stenciling ?

Thanks

Bertrand

collectsmedals

Here is my practice bomb. It still has its light blue paint and is stenciled;

PRACTICE

BOMB

100 LB M38A2

RECONDITIONED

C.S.B.

DECEMBER 1955

It also still has it's lower cap which is hard to find, this piece is missing on most of the ones I have seen.

If anyone knows what C.S.B. stands for I would appreciate your letting me know.

post-294-0-88787600-1577733696_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-27291100-1577733715_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-38433800-1577733738_thumb.jpg

parafrag

hello!, I live in Ft Inn and I’m over at Donaldson AFB ( Greenville Army Air Base) quote a bit. Where in SC are you at?