M151 brakes adjustment?

HILLBILLY-06

HILLBILLY-06

I just thought I would ask if anyone knows if the 4 wheel drum brakes can be adjusted via the two small holes in the backing plate, and if so, which hole is what and which direction to turn the adjuster to tighten it?

The brakes on mine were soft when I got it, and I been tinkering with stuff, just wonder about brake adjustment. One wheel will lock up good going down hill, the others seem to need "maybe adjusting to catch up to it"?

I suggest that you track down the manuals for your M151. You're going to have lots of questions, and the manuals are very valuable to have.

HILLBILLY-06

That's really helpful, I do have manuals, plenty of them, all in PDF files. I was hoping someone would have just known how to do it, I have never adjusted brakes before....

in order to adjust the service brakes, remove the cover from the front opening on the backing plate. with the wheel jacked up, and spinning freely by hand, use a brake spoon to tighten the adjuster wheel until you can no longer turn the wheel with one hand. at that point, back the adjuster off eleven clicks and replace the dust cover in the backing plate. check the fluid level in the master cylinder, top off if needed, verify that brake pedal has 1/4 " of free travel.

when finished, perform road test to be certain all wheels are braking equally. remember that these vehicles use silicone brake fluid. if you need to check any of this, look in the -20 manual, section 23, paragraph 2-171, sept 71 version. hope this helps.

HILLBILLY-06

in order to adjust the service brakes, remove the cover from the front opening on the backing plate. with the wheel jacked up, and spinning freely by hand, use a brake spoon to tighten the adjuster wheel until you can no longer turn the wheel with one hand. at that point, back the adjuster off eleven clicks and replace the dust cover in the backing plate. check the fluid level in the master cylinder, top off if needed, verify that brake pedal has 1/4 " of free travel.

when finished, perform road test to be certain all wheels are braking equally. remember that these vehicles use silicone brake fluid. if you need to check any of this, look in the -20 manual, section 23, paragraph 2-171, sept 71 version. hope this helps.

I had noticed that info in the manuals about the silicone brake fluid, I dont have any of that, so I will have to look around for a source to get some. All I have is standard DOT3 brake fluid, so I will look around, and thank you for the info on the brakes... Dave.

if you have a napa store in your area, check with them. they carry it where i live in sacramento.DO NOT use any other product, or be prepared for a giant headache, and expense to repair.

If you have a .pdf and want a shop manual...take it to the UPS Store and have it spiral bound. The 400-page -20 manual for my Dodge M-37 cost me $28 to have printed and bound.....vs. an $80+ for ordering a hard copy online. You'll want a hard copy to smear grease on...trust me.

HILLBILLY-06

If you have a .pdf and want a shop manual...take it to the UPS Store and have it spiral bound. The 400-page -20 manual for my Dodge M-37 cost me $28 to have printed and bound.....vs. an $80+ for ordering a hard copy online. You'll want a hard copy to smear grease on...trust me.

Hey, that's not a bad idea... I had been strongly urging myself not to hit the print button on the 700+ page TM manuals LOL, the paper and the ink alone would cost me way more than that if I did it here at home. I will keep that in mind, and thank you...

Hillybilly-06, come on over to http://www.g838.org/index.php We're dedicated to the MUTT only. (No offense to the fine folks who run/hang out at G503...FWIW, I'm also a member over there, but there's less clutter and more M151 RKIs over at G838.

BTW, what have you got in the way of a MUTT? I've got a '72 AMG M151A2 (but it's registered as a Ford.)

HTH

HILLBILLY-06

Hillybilly-06, come on over to http://www.g838.org/index.php We're dedicated to the MUTT only. (No offense to the fine folks who run/hang out at G503...FWIW, I'm also a member over there, but there's less clutter and more M151 RKIs over at G838.

BTW, what have you got in the way of a MUTT? I've got a '72 AMG M151A2 (but it's registered as a Ford.)

HTH

I'm not exactly sure which MUTT I have for certain, the info I got so far by postings, etc.. is that it could be a 63-64 Willy's or Kaiser body that I have, a strait M151 with A2 parts, such as the windshield, air cleaner, electric wipers, steering wheel, stuff like that, but mine will also be registered as a ford (1967) very soon, as I will go with whats on the plate for registration purposes... I think someone had said someplace that there may be a body tag under the grill somewhere if I take it off, and if it survived, I could tell more then perhaps. I don't see a tag on the firewall yet, I just been busy lately and haven't taken the grill off yet. Man it sure gets a lot of attention out here, it's turns a lot of heads in my neighborhood. There are several older Vets here that love it, and a friend I grew up with was in the Guard back in the 80's-90's and he use to drive em some too, he just loves it.

I have been off work a couple weeks, can't wait to get back... make some more "MUTT Money"... LOL. I need to get started on some body work, & tires etc... I was hoping to have it ready for the Tannehill show in November, but that's awful close and the budget may not allow it. I will go there even if it's not ready, just to see all the other stuff that comes in. There's some neat stuff that show's up down there & the Dixie Division club puts on a good show, at least they have in the past. That's what got me hooked on Military Vehicles.... and now I finally got one....Dave.