Gloves, what type?

thetrenchman1918

thetrenchman1918

I picked these up and will be selling them shortly but I do not remember what type they are any help greatly appreciated

post-105825-0-37062600-1375046708.jpg

post-105825-0-80615000-1375046718.jpg

littlebuddy

no labels of any sort ?? could they be the ones out of the survival kits ??

LB

Non-military, probably locally made. I can only imagine there was thousands of yards of shearling to be had after the war in Britain, rag mill surplus and the sort....civilian concoction.

• 2 weeks later...

Those look like a pair of modified Air Corps/Army Air Forces Mechanic/Aircrew gloves/mittens/gauntlets. I think they would have had a shearling cuff......the mod looks period. Manufacture dates Pre-War to 1942/43. The sharling was not that warm nor was it durable. If you have talked to vets that used the gear they will always refer to layering their clothing in combination with shearling. If you like I can try to post a picture of a un-altered pair.

there is now way these are modified gunner gloves, look at the construction especially the seems these were stitched from the outside leaving a ridge the construction is way to cheesy to be the three finger high altitude gloves. Also the fleece used in clothing is different than that of gloves and these are certainly of the material used in the manufacture of clothing, note the flaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Dustin.......the gloves are mods of original AAC/AAF ground and aircrew gloves,mittens or gauntlets, not "foreign" or "theater" made Could be wartime mods....but provenance trumps. Original is always the safest and most easily documented. I have attached photos of a nice unaltered set.

post-4098-0-21953000-1377456377.jpg

what is the provenance to these though? original to what? can you prove these are WWII era?

yes they are gauntlets but if you compare these to original trigger finger gloves the material is not the same.

the dead giveaway these are not mods from gunners gloves is if you take a look at the wristlet in post #9 there is a seam down the center along the width in the material. This seam is often encounter on shearling jackets and pants but not gloves. These are merely Frankenstein's of fleece clothing. Gunners gloves are made from the same material as A-2 jackets. Gunner/aircrew gloves do not flake this is from a coating process of polyacrylate dye then lacquered giving it waterproofing properties. Over time this flakes as we often see on shearling suits.

Gloves are horse, pig and goat.

The gloves pictured here are Shearling (sheep) in which gloves were not manufactured using this material there fore cannot be modifications of gunner/aircrew gloves.

Trenchman, why don't you get a picture of the inside of the gloves and a closer picture of the seam where the material was added. That would help tremendously towards figuring out what these are.

To clarify I'm talking about the shell, the lining was lambs wool. Shearling suits/clothing utilized sheep's skin then treated to give it that dark brown look.

To clarify I'm talking about the shell, the lining was lambs wool. Shearling suits/clothing utilized sheep's skin then treated to give it that dark brown look.

Shearling was used for gloves.....the set I pictured was issued to a WO with the 13th Armored Div. He was in an Observation Squadron Pre-War and went on to serve in L-planes. I find it hard to see the mystery in the gloves!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention that I also have a set of shearling trigger fingered gloves, much like the A-9 and A-9A "gunner" gloves.....anyone want to see these.......they are from the same WO as the other set.

Will m, The mystery is for someone to answer to the cuff material. The process to sew that type of cuff on a glove is not an easy one, especially in the field.

Shearling wool was used as a lining but not the skin. In the production process the wool is glued to the outer shell or skin. My point is they are not modified aircrew gloves as they did not use sheep or lamb SKIN in their construction. The gloves pictured as apparently issued to this WO were manufactured using shearling fleece and skin from clothing. There is not mystery I am just stating what they are not. Neither A-6 or A-9 gloves were manufactured using sheep skin these were the standard gloves in which it was suggested these were revised from.

The gloves you have do have provenance as being fabricated during the war undoubtedly from scratch.

I forgot to mention that I also have a set of shearling trigger fingered gloves, much like the A-9 and A-9A "gunner" gloves.....anyone want to see these.......they are from the same WO as t

I forgot to mention that I also have a set of shearling trigger fingered gloves, much like the A-9 and A-9A "gunner" gloves.....anyone want to see these.......they are from the same WO as the other set.

yes post them if you could

Will m, The mystery is for someone to answer to the cuff material. The process to sew that type of cuff on a glove is not an easy one, especially in the field.

There were sewing rooms that anything could fabricated at any air field much like this one so the sewing process, considering what you see here, is not that complicated. much of what you see are clothing and as the sign above indicates.

The gloves pictured here very well could have been manufactured at such a facility such as this and as my argument from scrap shearling from flight clothing.

post-56-0-30683100-1377464614.jpg

For more on the fabrication of flying gloves consult CG Sweetings book Combat Flying Clothing. He discusses the materials in manufacture of gloves...sheep skin is not mentioned. It is important to make a distinction between wool and skin in this discussion.

I am willing to wager the gloves your going to post are not standard A-6 or A-9 (A's) as per AAF specification but again another local fabricated glove.

thetrenchman1918

Wow kind of dismissed this topic after the first couple of posts,

Will try to get a pic or the inside and the seems

I took a few pictures to reinforce my case that the gloves pictured here are NOT modified gunners gloves and that they are gloves made from clothing articles.

This a photo of a factory pair of gunners gloves, First there is absolutely zero similarities in any construction detail also the material is not the same. these are a dyed pig or goat skin.

post-56-0-93196800-1378096850.jpg

This is a section of a sleeve from a B-3 jacket. note the flaking of the treated material for flight clothing. You can see flaking like this in the gloves pictured on page 1. the same characteristics of wear can be seen on them as well. Note the seams and creases in the gloves pictured above are sound with no flaking.

post-56-0-46262000-1378097074.jpg