Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted a new patch...living off the GI Bill. One day I will have a steady income again.

War Bonds and Stamps collar device.

I purchased a shoulder patch that came with two of these, so I would be led to believe that they were collar devices rather than a hat device. The same size as a US quarter. I kept this one and sold the others to pay for this.

5518285_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A few more:

This was a school out of NY

7376114_orig.jpg

and

3849093_orig.jpg

and

This was stated to me that it was a children's cereal mail-in. I have searched for advertisements and have come up empty. It has the iron on glue on the back, but it covers up a nice cotton no glow bobbing thread one would have seen in the 1940s. The front has a felt like material on the black. Not sure the real history behind it.

4343464_orig.jpg

I have a few more in the mail from auctions that I won that will be posted soon.

Forgot about my arsenal patches. They normally go for about $40 each, but the WOW (women of war) is a much neater patch.

7583027_orig.jpg

and

3951836_orig.jpg

and

I finally got the cap device thanks to Bob from Vintage Productions for the women's defense ambulance corps out of California. Still want to find at least one of the 20 plus arcs to go with the big one.

156257_orig.jpg

and apparently the below patch has now been identified as an ambulance unit out of Hawaii that women drove in.

8041125_orig.jpg

and

3790164_orig.jpg

3 more I recently acquired.

1508852_orig.jpg

Girl Scouts 1942 Civil Defense patch. Super rare.

2288497_orig.jpg

Rare 1940s Camp Fire Girls Victory patch

1418030_orig.jpg

I am thinking the top one of tis group may be Girls Scout related -- the insignia on the shield is their shape.

G

Yes, underneath the photo I had a description of it. For one year, they had a group that was apart of the civil defense. US Militaria collectors have not gotten wind of this patch yet. It goes for about $45 in Girl Scout collectors groups. I would have gladly paid $75 for it...when I could find it. It was only used for one year within the girls scouts. I had a top Girl Scout dealer email me when she came acrossed one.

About two months ago this was offered on ebay. First one that I had ever seen...I wanted to buy it but then I remembered that it was out of my collecting zone. I presume that this was given to all graduates of the mechanic school. It was a cardboard cutout with a stand. Such a COOL collectible. I think it went around the $75-85 range, but I am not sure if there was a last minute bidding war.

90567_orig.jpg

We've had previous threads on these:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154250-wwii-bell-aircraft-related-patches/?hl=%2Bbell+%2Baircraft

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154249-bell-aircraft-patches-more/?hl=%2Bbell+%2Baircraft

Patchcollector

Outstanding collection!My favorite is the WAND piece.I also like that Cherryland patch.The only one I have is the Water Weasel one.Keep up the good work!

Some security patches from Belle Mead, NJ US Army General Depot from WW2.

6404625_orig.jpg

Those plant guard patches and badges are nice.Looks like somebody may have cut the top part of the PATROL FORCE patch off?

I think you are right on Firefighter with that observation! I have to search the forums under "patrol force" later tonight to see what would have gone above that.

• 2 weeks later...

Really neat patches! Have to "retrain" my eyes for those antique store excursions...never knew there was such a number and variety. Thanks for sharing this learning experience.

Ed

2x versions of the Belle Mead police/security patches in two weeks! This one is neat since it has the Army Service Forces insignia on it. Insignia is 3" tall, slightly smaller than what I thought that it would be. Still very happy to have it on my collection and to have two different versions.

350132_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

A seldom seen, Oklahoma City Air Depot patch. This is not a cut out from the one that we normally see, as that is fully embroidered. This is a legit, all twill, no glow hard to find patch. Measures 1 and 5/8" in length. Not sure where this would have gone on the uniform. Maybe a sleeve cuff since it is so tiny? A hat device?

2930110_orig.jpg

This post is terrific, thank you for posting those patches, they are really something. I never knew there were so many home front patches. Now I more stuff to hunt for. YOu have a great collection.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

Need to do some research into this one. 3.5" pocket patch. I've always liked this and finally picked it up.

post-122868-0-34668800-1397281860.jpg

ocsfollowme

My most rare home front patch, the Businessman's Military Training Corps from Hawaii. About 1500 men from the island. Doing a shout out to Richard Smith and Steve Johnson's book "Cloth Insignia of the US State Guards and Defense Forces (yellow front). So much great info in this book.

407597_orig.jpg