Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

Camp Kilmer, NJ

post-122868-0-60988100-1506118259_thumb.jpg

One of the ports of embarkation for Soldiers during WW2.

The camp was named for Joyce Kilmer, a poet killed in World War I while serving with 69th Infantry Regiment. His home was in nearby New Brunswick, New Jersey.[1]

The site was selected in 1941 by the War Department as the best site to serve the New York Port of Embarkation. Construction began in early 1942. Located in Piscataway Township, New Jersey and Edison Township, New Jersey at 40°31′00″N 74°26′45″W, the closest city was New Brunswick located two miles to the south. Plainfield was located four miles north of the camp. New York City, about 22 miles to the northeast, could be reached by the mainline of the Pennsylvania Railroad. A flyover loop crossing the four-track mainline (now the Amtrak NEC) allowed movements into the large train loading yards without interference with mainline traffic. Many troop embarkations would be at the New Jersey locations of Military Ocean Terminal at Bayonne and Hoboken. The camp was also served by the Port Reading branch of the Reading Railroad and the Amboy branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad.

250px-Camp_Kilmer_Map.jpg
Camp Kilmer Map

The post was activated in June 1942[1] and the first unit to arrive at Camp Kilmer was the 332nd Engineer General Service Regiment, a complement of 1,239 enlisted men and 52 officers. The unit arrived July 22, 1942 on three separate trains from Camp Claiborne, Louisiana. The buildings were constructed of wood and were painted bright contrasting colors for a camouflage effect. This was similar to the dazzle camouflage used for ships in World War I. The camp primarily consisted of ten "Disposition Areas", or sets of barracks in which units and soldiers were assigned while awaiting transportation to Europe.[2]

At Camp Kilmer troops sent personal effects home, received medical injections and the supplies needed before loading onto transport ships for travel to the European Theater of Operations. After V-E Day, the post was used to deprocess troops returning from Europe, prior to sending them on to their local Personnel Center, Separation Center or Reception Station.[3] The camp remained active until the fall of 1949 when it was no longer needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Kilmer

https://www.archives.gov/nyc/exhibit/camp-kilmer

http://www.fortwiki.com/Camp_Kilmer

http://piscatawaylibrary.org/content/camp-kilmer

This one came in today. Instructor wing in blue in the center. First one of this that I have seen.

US Air Force Training Detachment Victory Field (Vernon, Texas)

17th Flying Training Detachment

Operated by: Hunter Flying Service and Richey Flying Service

Opened: December 1941, Closed: August 1944

post-122868-0-68488700-1506544545.jpg

American Women's Voluntary Services. I have posted the top insignia already (comes in two uniform color variations) but the bottom one of the War Savings Staff is my new one that I am excited to share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Women%27s_Voluntary_Services

post-122868-0-15077800-1506544927.jpg

The bottom insignia also comes in "War Savings Division" in the same style. Here you can see them being worn.

post-122868-0-28865500-1506544963_thumb.jpg

Hi. I just stumbled in here. A round of applause from me for this whole topic. I know very little about home front patches, but I now know a lot more than I did an hour ago. Besides the historical side to these patches, many of them are minor works of art. I only made it up to page 10 or so before I ran out of "Wow, cool patch!" exclamations. I was going to ask for a picture of the quilts but found the link on the first entry. They are truly impressive. Thank you sir!

Mikie

WW2 Rock-Ola Manufacturing Company. Home Front War Production Soldier. I was very happy to pick this one up.

If you collect M1s this company produced the smallest amount of them and their hallmark brings some of the highest prices.

"The Rock-Ola Manufacturing Corporation was, along with Wurlitzer, a top maker of jukeboxes. The company, which originally made slot machines, scales and pinball machines, was founded in 1927 by Coin-Op pioneer David Cullen Rockola.
Rock-Ola neon sign.

During the 1920s, Rockola was linked with Chicago organized crime and escaped a jail sentence by turning State's Evidence. Starting in 1935, Rock-Ola sold more than 400,000 jukeboxes under the Rock-Ola brand name, which predated the rock and roll era by two decades, and is thought to have inspired the term. In 1977, The Antique Apparatus Company engineered, refined, and manufactured the first and finest "Nostalgic" Jukeboxes. The Antique Apparatus Company acquired the Rock-Ola Corporation and name in 1992.

-Main Manufacture & Identification Codes: "R" "Rock-Ola"
-Main Plant Location: Chicago, Illinois.
-Average Cost to Government per completed rifle, $58.00.
-Approximately 228,500 total Carbines were made by Rock-Ola: About 3.7% of M1 Carbines made.

--M1 Carbines 228,500 (Rock-Ola, did not make the M2, M3, T3, or M1A1 Carbines)

-Serial number blocks assigned by the government:

--1st block, Serial number, 1,662,520 - 1,762,519| November, 1942 - November, 1943
--2nd block, Serial number, 4,532,100 - 4,632,099 | November, 1943 - March, 1943
--3rd block, Serial number, 6,071,189 - 6,099,688 | March, 1944 - April, 1944
--4th block, Serial number, 6,199,689 - 6,219,688 | April, 1944 - May, 1944

The company currently manufactures a variety of jukeboxes for both commercial and home entertainment. Commercial jukeboxes feature touch screens, Peavey power amps and digital downloading of music and ad content, delivered by the AMI Network. Rock-Ola continues to manufacture Nostalgic style CD-jukeboxes and has also added state-of-the-art digital touch screen technology for the home market. The Rock-Ola line of Nostalgic Music Centers was introduced in 2006. Two new music center models, the "Mystic" and the "Q" were introduced in 2008.

Rockola was also the maker of shuffleboard tables from 1948-50. Considered by collectors the Cadillac of shuffleboards due to their Art Deco styling with curving woodwork and lots of chrome, they are highly sought after by players.

Rock-Ola also produced and published arcade video game machines in the early 1980s such as Fantasy with the most successful in-house game developed being Nibbler.

Rock-Ola was also one of the producers of the M1 carbine for the US Military during WWII, making 3.7% of the 6,221,220 made. Due to both the relative rarity of Rock-Ola carbines and the distinctive name, they are highly prized among collectors."

Source for this quoted material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-Ola

Also Rock-Ola's website: http://www.rock-ola.com/

post-122868-0-92421800-1506640446_thumb.jpg

I had posted this one earlier but mine did not have the attached WAIT tab (I sold it for $90 this week and picked up the one with the tab for $86). Women's Aircraft Instrument Technicians "WAIT" out of the Chicago School of Aircraft Instruments.

More information on this http://www.usmilitar...wait-caf-tunic/

post-122868-0-30007800-1506641281_thumb.jpg

This auction just ended today for just shy of $600 which provides a lot of great information on the school and WAIT Program. I did not win it =(

post-122868-0-01465900-1506641310_thumb.jpg

AAF GCTC Phsycial Instructor. I believe that this is Gulf Coast Training Center and that there are many units that could have worn this insignia.

post-122868-0-06836000-1506641667_thumb.jpg

Hi. I just stumbled in here. A round of applause from me for this whole topic. I know very little about home front patches, but I now know a lot more than I did an hour ago. Besides the historical side to these patches, many of them are minor works of art. I only made it up to page 10 or so before I ran out of "Wow, cool patch!" exclamations. I was going to ask for a picture of the quilts but found the link on the first entry. They are truly impressive. Thank you sir!

Mikie

Mikie, thanks for your kind words!

• 3 weeks later...

This is the second or third one that I have seen. Nice post war, no glow, and a moth made a small hold.

WAC Vets Association Cleveland Chapter.

The Ruptured Duck over Pallas Athene (official insignia of the Women's Army Corps)

post-122868-0-93866800-1508449677.jpg

I've been after this one for a while.

Junior WAAC Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. WAAC started on May 15, 1942 and transitioned to the WAC July 1, 1943 so this insignia was only used for 14 months.

Department stores sold exact copies of the uniform to patriotic young girls ("Junior WAACs") and women who were working for women's volunteer and auxiliary organizations like Military Canteens, Civil Defense, the American Red Cross, and the USO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Army_Corps

post-122868-0-91949600-1508962700_thumb.jpg

post-122868-0-60727800-1508962712.jpg

New England Aircraft School (East Boston, Mass)

In May 1939 the Air Corps had also turned to civilian schools for the training of mechanics. At that time War Department authorization was given for contracts with seven schools,* whose training programs were to begin on 7 August 1939 under the supervision of the commandant of the Air Corps Technical School at Chanute Field

Contracts were signed with the following institutions: Aeronautical University, Chicago, Ill.; Casey Jones School of Aeronautics, Newark, N.J.; Curtiss-Wright Technical Institute of Aeronautics, Glendale, Calif.; New England Aircraft School, East Boston, Mass.; Parks Air College, East St. Louis, El.; Roosevelt Aviation School at Roosevelt Field, Garden City, N.Y.; Spartan School of Aeronautics, Tulsa, Okla.

inspections of the caliber of training given at civilian mechanics schools indicated that at this time no civilian school had attained the standards of the Air Corps Technical School, although Colonel Brant, the school's commandant, acknowledged that steady progress had been made toward such a goal. Discrepancies were caused mainly by lack of equipment and by unfamiliarity with the rigid system of Air Corps maintenance. In their efforts to match the training of the Air Corps institutions, the civilian schools sought and generally got instructors of high quality. Curtiss-Wright recalled outstanding graduates from industries; at Casey Jones in 1940 instructors were all technical or trade school graduates with years of experience at that school; at Boeing the original instructors were either Air Corps Technical School graduates or men who had worked in aircraft factories; at the New England Aircraft School all instructors were ex-Air Corps men with from one to six years' experience.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/VI/AAF-VI-14.html

I've been after patches of training schools for about five years and this is the first one from this school. A large jacket patch.

post-122868-0-07013500-1509120601_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A WW2 Stearman overhalls patch. I have been after anyone of the 2-3 or so variations of Stearman patches for about 5 years. Still looking for some other variations.

Stearman was absorbed by Boeing.

Stearman most famously made the Model 75 trainer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Stearman_Model_75

post-122868-0-20721100-1510413427_thumb.jpg

I've been after this one for a while.

Junior WAAC Women's Army Auxiliary Corps. WAAC started on May 15, 1942 and transitioned to the WAC July 1, 1943 so this insignia was only used for 14 months.

Department stores sold exact copies of the uniform to patriotic young girls ("Junior WAACs") and women who were working for women's volunteer and auxiliary organizations like Military Canteens, Civil Defense, the American Red Cross, and the USO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Army_Corps

Cool uniform

attachicon.gifjrwaac.JPG

attachicon.gifwaac.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Researching this one. First one that I have seen in about 10 years on eBay.

Work Today for Victory Tomorrow. Liberty Bell Division. V for Victory.

post-122868-0-25622300-1516646195_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the 1930s but it inspired many of the flying cadets of WW2 so I am happy to add it into my homefront collection of WW2. The popularity in the US dropped around 1937 but it continued until 1943 in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Air_Adventures_of_Jimmie_Allen

Be Square!

post-122868-0-77807700-1518132684_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Academy of Aeronautics

Not sure if this is a generic one. There was an Academy of Aeronautics in Queens, NY

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif acad.JPG

Pretty sure this school was still around in the 1970's, might even still be there. We called aviation high. If it's the same one I'm thinking of.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk