Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

I didn't think was a home front patch.

For this thread, I count school and training patches as home front too. This is a proficiency badge that was awarded at Fort Benning.

firefighter

For this thread, I count school and training patches as home front too. This is a proficiency badge that was awarded at Fort Benning.

Gotcha! When I see home front I think sweetheart or civilian companies that trained or produced for the war effort.

ocsfollowme

I agree that "home front" patches tend to be the support in the states. Since I still want to collect Army and AAF patches, the main ones that I need are out of my price range so I snag up school patches stateside on the cheap side.

firefighter

I agree that "home front" patches tend to be the support in the states. Since I still want to collect Army and AAF patches, the main ones that I need are out of my price range so I snag up school patches stateside on the cheap side.

Even some of those school patches are crazy expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

Somehow I missed posting this one.

The Umatilla Ordnance Depot is still in operation today as the destruction of 14% of our nation's chemical weapons houses there is supposed to be complete by 2015. A neat piece of trivia on the makeup of this patch is the wool base material that is used. Pendleton Woolen factory is from the same location too, so that makes sense.

post-122868-0-82477200-1422117178.jpg

This photograph shows workers at the U.S. Army’s Umatilla Ordnance Depot stenciling and inspecting 155-millimeter artillery shells. It was taken by anOregon Journal photographer in April 1943.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began planning the construction of the Umatilla Ordnance Depot in the summer of 1940. A site near the eastern Oregon town of Hermiston was chosen because of its rail connections and its interior location, which would make it a more difficult target for enemy aircraft. Work on the facility began in January 1941 and was finished a year later. At the height of construction there were over 7,000 workers involved on the project, the centerpiece of which was 1,001 “igloos,” concrete buildings used to store munitions. The depot also had more than 200 miles of roads and 40 miles of railroad tracks, as well as a number of administrative buildings, machine shops, warehouses, and other structures.

The Umatilla Ordnance Depot did not manufacture munitions but it stored every kind of munition in the American arsenal, from .30-caliber small arms ammunition to two-ton blockbuster bombs. The 1943 article that accompanied the photograph above noted that “just how much in weight of explosives is stored at the Umatilla depot cannot be told, but it's a fair guess to say there’s enough, if it all could be properly planted, to just about tear Mr. Tojo’s war machine apart.”

During World War II, women workers made up a substantial part of the depot’s work force, the great majority of which was civilian. In 1943, 27 percent of the workers at the depot were women, and anOregonian article noted that the “ordnance department hopes to increase the percentage, because they are doing a good job and because they are draft-proof.” Women also formed about a quarter of the work force in other important war industries in the region.

The Umatilla Ordnance Depot continued to store conventional munitions after the conclusion of World War II. It began to store chemical weapons in 1962, eventually accumulating approximately 12 percent of the nation’s stockpile of nerve and blister agents. Reports of leaking nerve agents in the late 1970s led many Oregonians, including Senator Mark Hatfield and Governor Vic Atiyeh, to call for the destruction of the depot’s chemical weapons stocks. In 1986, Congress ordered the Department of Defense to dispose of the nation’s remaining chemical weapons. The incineration of chemical weapons at the depot began in 2004 and is scheduled for completion in 2012.

Further Reading:
Schwantes, Carlos, ed. The Pacific Northwest in World War II. Manhattan, Kans., 1986.

Written by Cain Allen, © Oregon Historical Society, 2005.

ocsfollowme

I have always been hoping to get it pinned, but I have been adding photos every other week so it keeps it to the top. Most if not all of the patches in this thread will be seen in Barry Stein's new book.

ocsfollowme

This is the first twill variation that I have ever seen. These are typically FE and greenback

post-122868-0-62674300-1462586569.jpg

ocsfollowme

My $5 purchase at the Pomona show today.

Never seen this style before. Blue Star Flag. WW2 Son in Service.

post-122868-0-34881800-1462658924.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

Finally got the Marine Corps. Gosh, this was a 3 year project! This completes the set I believe). The larger Army is the only one that I have ever seen.

post-122868-0-13175300-1465001979.jpg

ocsfollowme

Nebraska Aviation Institute. Very large patch. You see a similar color NAI wing patch that went with the same school.

post-122868-0-60302600-1465436475.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

Thanks Gil! I usually buy a new home front patch every other week so it keeps it to the top of the thread. Now it will be easier to find!

I had the two above tabs in my collection for a year as I purchased a huge lot of patches from an employee from a patch factory worker from the 1940s.

This 963 Baltimore was up on eBay and it was the key to figuring this one out.

post-122868-0-19321700-1466899432.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

One of the 3 hardest Civil Defense patches to find. Forest Fire Fighters Service patch.

attachicon.gifforest.JPG

OK, you've got me, ocsfollowme: what are the other two hardest to find CD patches? Instructor and Bomb Squad?

ocsfollowme

OK, you've got me, ocsfollowme: what are the other two hardest to find CD patches? Instructor and Bomb Squad?

Instructor, mounted patrol, forest fire then bomb squad. Mounted patrol brings the most money. I only have an instructor cap device.

Cobra 6 Actual

Instructor, mounted patrol, forest fire then bomb squad. Mounted patrol brings the most money. I only have an instructor cap device.

Ah, thank you!