Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks cobra 6 actual! I try to get a new patch once every other week now. The Home Front ones are all that I can afford

Yep, but it's not how much they cost, but how much you enjoy them ... And I can tell you're having fun!

Hi, check out seller "jcmtin" on eBay. He has what may be a North American Aviation patch up for bid with a reasonable starting price.

Tom

Happy to add this one.

Womens Aircraft Instrument Technicians "WAIT" out of the Chicago School of Aircraft Instruments

If anyone has a matching "WAIT" tab that goes underneath I would love to purchase it.

post-122868-0-85940400-1454366157.jpg

More information on this http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53191-wwii-aaf-wait-caf-tunic/

This is pushing 12 inches in width and is fully embroidered, no glow, all cotton back. 1st one that I have seen.

Anyone know what it is from? Most likely AAF, cadet school, and worn on overalls of a tech rep or maintenance.

post-122868-0-45611900-1454366418.jpg

This is pushing 12 inches in width and is fully embroidered, no glow, all cotton back. 1st one that I have seen.

Anyone know what it is from? Most likely AAF, cadet school, and worn on overalls of a tech rep or maintenance.

attachicon.gifunk wings.JPG

That big critter is a Commemorative (formerly Confederate), Air Force piece. I've had one since the 1980's. Many CAF members wore these on the back of their coveralls and flight jackets. I even wore mine on the back of my Civil Air Patrol nylon flight jacket for awhile. It's now framed and hangs above the entry door to my man-cave.

That big critter is a Commemorative (formerly Confederate), Air Force piece. I've had one since the 1980's. Many CAF members wore these on the back of their coveralls and flight jackets. I even wore mine on the back of my Civil Air Patrol nylon flight jacket for awhile. It's now framed and hangs above the entry door to my man-cave.

Lee, how long ago did they use insignia like this? The base fabric is blue and it looks like a standard WW2 era patch.

I think I first saw these being used by the CAF in the late 1970's or early 1980's. A friend of mine who was in the CAF and also the CAP got me one. They may have been used even earlier than what I remember.

• 4 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

I finally completed the set of three. USAAC Emergency Corps. Took me about 4 years.

http://disneybooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/this-just-in-from-gunnar-andreassen.html

Father Duffy was a well known person in New York, and probably also in the whole USA and there is a statue of him on Duffy Square. He was an American soldier and Roman Catholic priest - a military chaplain during WWI. and he died in 1932.

There's a large article about him on Wikipedia, a quote from this:

In the 1940s movie The Fighting 69th, Father Duffy is portrayed by Pat O'Brien.

This is what I found about Father Duffy Canteen on the web:

Having a little extra time on my hands I founded the Father Duffy Canteen, Inc., a group of 125 women who nightly with their ambulance canteens cover the water front and anti-aircraft bases of New York, serving the men on sentry duty. We average 60,000 servicemen and women a month, and have served over 1,250,000 since our inception. All food is prepared in Reuben's Restaurant and is financed by public contributions. There are no salaries in the Father Duffy Canteen. The drivers are the USAAC Emergency Corps men.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=erika-anderson&pid=131889918

"Volunteered for the USAAC Emergency Corps hospitals in World War II"

I found three articles tying the USAAC Emergency Corps to NY City. Not to say that they did not operate elsewhere, but they "may" primarily have focused there.

post-122868-0-99099600-1457018529.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

I now have 1 & 2 stars for Army, 1 & 2 stars for Navy and a 1 star for Marines. Still need a 2 star for Marines if anyone has one.

post-122868-0-29612500-1458181801.jpg

ocsfollowme

Very excited for this one. My father worked for General Motors after he returned home from Vietnam until well past 2000.

I always thought that it was neat that they used the insignia of the 76th Infantry Division. I wonder why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

GM made 21,147 of these during the war.

post-122868-0-02625400-1458181877.jpg

ocsfollowme

This is a fairly uncommon patch (not scarce at all) but it is very hard to find one that is not moth eaten around the edges. I just found one at a steal at $12.

National Rifle Association Awarded for Special War Service patch

Large insignia

post-122868-0-78401000-1458830131.jpg

ocsfollowme

24th AAFGTD (Allied Air Force Glider Training Detachment) from Okmulgee, Oklahoma. A pretty hard one to find.

post-122868-0-44410400-1459288854.jpg

ocsfollowme

10th Armored Division "Armored Tiger" proficiency badge. Very rare and I estimate less than 130 were awarded. This is #65 (I have original certification).

post-122868-0-13593800-1459288984.jpg

firefighter

10th Armored Division "Armored Tiger" proficiency badge. Very rare and I estimate less than 130 were awarded. This is #65 (I have original certification).

attachicon.giftank.JPG

I didn't think was a home front patch.