Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

Borden General Hospital

post-122868-0-52078400-1450804203.jpg

During World War II Chickasha was home to the Wilson and Bonfils Flying School. In October 1941 cadets began training there to become U.S. Army Air Force pilots. More than eight thousand aviators trained during the nearly four years that the school was active. The facility and fields are now a part of the Chickasha Municipal Airport. In 1942 the Borden General Hospital was established and used by the army. These grounds are currently home to the Grady Memorial Hospital, Chickasha High School, and Borden Park. A German prisoner of war camp was established in Chickasha in 1944 on the present site of the Grady County Fairgrounds.

http://newsok.com/article/3687240 below. Helen Keller visited Borden in November 1944 to inspire soldiers that were blinded due to battle.

In November of 1944, with World War II still being waged, she came to Chickasha to visit battle-deafened soldiers at Borden General Hospital. She was on a coast-to-coast tour of Army hospitals.

The Oklahoman on Nov. 14, 1944, announced her visit: “Miss Keller will discuss the rehabilitation problems of the veterans, giving special attention to those who were blinded and those suffering from deafness.”

• 2 weeks later...

Vega aircraft manufacturer. I have been after this one for a long time.

post-122868-0-78886500-1452620819.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_Aircraft_Corporation

The Vega Aircraft Corporation was a subsidiary of the Lockheed Aircraft Company responsible for much of its parent company's production in World War II. The company was first formed in August 1937 as the AiRover Company to produce a new light aircraft design. It was soon renamed to honor Lockheed's first aircraft design, the Vega.

The AiRover Model 1 was a Lockheed Model 9 Orion fitted with a Unitwin engine, which featured two engines driving a single shaft. The AiRover Model 2 was a new design named the Vega Starliner. One Starliner prototype was built and tested, but the design did not go into production.

In 1940, with World War II already underway in Europe, Vega changed its focus from light aircraft to military aircraft. The company began by producing five North American NA-35 trainers under license with North American Aviation. Production by Vega really got underway with the Hudson, a patrol bomber designed for use by the Royal Air Force.

Vega entered a partnership between three companies (the other two being Boeing and Douglas) (abbreviated BVD) to produce the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress. Of over 12,000 B-17s produced by war's end, 2,750 were built by Vega. The company also built two experimental B-17 variants, theBoeing XB-38 Flying Fortress and the Boeing YB-40 Flying Fortress.

By the end of 1943, Vega had merged back into Lockheed, having far surpassed its original mission of producing light aircraft.

Here is a mirror patch from Fort Harrison Montana where they trained in the United States. Not only the first one that I found but also the first image that I was able to obtain.

post-122868-0-80337300-1453243551.jpg

Wow, that's a cool one! Keep posting!

Thanks! Even though it is only January it was my find of the year. Only other documented one that I have been able to find has been the one in cooperstown.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks! Even though it is only January it was my find of the year. Only other documented one that I have been able to find has been the one in cooperstown.

You're definitely off to a great 2016!

Adding some new ones to the collection

Home economist Katherine L. Potter organized a Women's Emergency Farm Service (WEFS) in Maine. Patch is silk screened on felt.

post-122868-0-16109500-1453329747.jpg

Sensenich Brothers Littitz, PA Propeller manufacturer WW2 patch

World War II created a great demand for wooden propellers for pilot trainer planes, reconnaissance, battle field evacuation, spotter aircraft. Martin used his engineering skills to modify machinery to rapidly increase wood propeller production. Harry helped in the design concepts, managed the business details of up to 400 employees during WWII. Sensenich Brothers produced over 100,000 wooden propellers during WWII which was over 75% of all the wooden propellers manufactured during WWII. The advertising theme: “Right On the Nose” and “Ask the Pilot Who Flies One” was recognized by pilots world-wide who flew small aircraft.

http://www.nationalaviation.org/images/nominees/2016/Sensenich,%20Harry%20and%20Martin.pdf

post-122868-0-58158700-1453330001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And, we've enjoyed looking at all of your postings, sir ... even improved my geography a bit. Make that 11,000 and 1!

Thanks cobra 6 actual! I try to get a new patch once every other week now. The Home Front ones are all that I can afford