Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the Ambulance tab. Never knew it existed until I found the cap with small and medium patches this week. USAAC

Great pub in the ASMIC TP O-D 2016 pages 15-16. Another reason to be a member of ASMIC.

post-122868-0-35662500-1485813838_thumb.jpg

Always looking for new home front patches. PM me if you have any that are not listed on this 19 page thread! Willing to buy.

Confirmed: Women in Production Services (WIPS) patch with celluloid pin. HOME FRONT insignia. Confirmed that these were worn in at least Dupont in Delaware. Could be more factories.

I first saw this patch mixed in a lot of 9 patches from WW2 from Health patches that were worn by Major and Minor league baseball and softball teams. Special thanks for the Delaware Historical Society I was able to get a positive ID from a donation with the info attached to this.

Here is my patch and pin. I will say that these are very rare as I have had my eye on searching ebay auctions for WIPS for 2 years now and this was the only one that came up in that time period from my alert notice.

post-122868-0-91733400-1487204514_thumb.jpg

http://dehistory.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/4EE8C05F-9645-4F6A-9F2C-207597074312

post-122868-0-91095900-1487204566_thumb.jpg

post-122868-0-88292300-1487204576.jpg

Interesting to note that on another thread a fellow forum member found the September 1943 magazine "True Confession" to have a WIPS cover. Her shoulder patch reads "Safety WIPS Services" and she has a cap device without the shield. This could or could not be an artistic impresssion. I have search and searched "Safety WIPS Services" and "Safety Services" with WIPS to come up empty. I have no doubt that a cap device could be out there but in my hundreds upon hundreds of photos that I have seen of women in factories few if none were wearing caps.

At least the patch has been ID'd now hopefully more information can turn up with the ID. I did not want to pay $25 for a digital version of that magazine.

post-4101-0-26013700-1433623606.jpg

Rohr Aircraft Corporation, founded August 6, 1940 in Chula Vista (San Diego, CA). Factory overall style patch. No glow. There is a circular should SSI for this company that I missed out on 2-3 years ago.

post-122868-0-65938300-1488293837_thumb.jpg

#461 http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/rohr-incorporated-history/

Rohr emerged with his first contract, building Sperry bombsights for the LB-30, an early version of the B-24 bomber. Next, Lockheed asked Rohr to build cowlings for the A-28 Hudson bombers it was manufacturing for the British. The sudden rush of business forced Rohr to relocate from a small rented factory space to a new 37,500-square foot complex, and eventually two additional facilities.

Impressed with the company's work on the bombsight, Consolidated asked Rohr to manufacture complete "power packages"--motor mounts, cowlings, plumbing, electrical harnesses and everything else that held a bare engine to a wing--for the PB2Y3 flying boat. This enabled Consolidated to concentrate on building airframes, while leaving the engine mounting to Rohr. When the United States became involved in World War II, Consolidated asked Rohr to build power packages for the B-24, which was by now rolling off assembly lines in droves. Production shot up to 56 power packages a day.

To meet this demand, the company's factory space was expanded to 600,000 square feet. But, in need of even greater space, Fred Rohr took over his father's sheet metal plant in Fresno. As production rose, and Rohr's employees went off to war, Rohr began hiring female employees. The first woman joined the payroll in May 1942. Only a year later, 55 percent of the work force, now numbering several thousand, were women. By November 1944, with Allied victory imminent, the company employed 13,000 workers. Rohr faced the tremendous dilemma of keeping the enterprise running after the war ended.

Rohr decided that the company was best equipped to manufacture consumer products for the millions of men who would soon be returning home to start families. He entered into merger negotiations with the Detroit-based International Detrola Corporation, a manufacturer of machine tools, radios, washing machines, refrigerators, furniture, and other consumer durables. Detrola's acquisition of Rohr Aircraft, through an exchange of shares, was concluded in July 1945.

• 3 weeks later...
BILL THE PATCH

Nice patch Steve, what's the history?, What kind of programming.g did they have?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

Women's Ambulance and Transportation Corps of California (W.A.T.C.C.) This organization was in operation from San Diego, to Sacramento to San Francisco.

http://sandiegohistory.org/archives/archivalcollections/ms66/

Bob Chatt has a great uniform http://www.vintageproductions.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=2900

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wwii-womens-ambulance-transportation-435347974

post-122868-0-50597400-1491855399.jpg

ocsfollowme

PX mirror patch from the US Naval Training Station in San Diego, California. It was later renamed the Naval Training Center per wikipedia.

Oddly enough for the amount of people that went through this place this is the first one that I have seen. Glad to have it in my collection.

post-122868-0-21876100-1492131014_thumb.jpg