Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

BILL THE PATCH

Hey Steve who did all the sewing and are they done by hand or machine?, How many man hrs be into one quilt would you say?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ocsfollowme

I did all of the sewing myself. I had a friend of a friend with an embroidery machine make the signature for the reverse of the two quilts. It took me a long time to make them. Several years to piece them all together. Then an entire summer when I got out of the Army to put them together and quilt them. 

BILL THE PATCH

I would have stuck myself numerous times. Very nicely done

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
ocsfollowme

Yay, 130,000 + views!!!

Only one that I have seen on eBay in the past 12 years. Sold once and missed out but bought it when their collection is being liquidated. 

Lockheed Aircraft Inspector brassard patch.

IMG_4357.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I see you had one of these posted in your shots of the patches on the table.  I believe it is for the Manhattan School of Aeronautical Technology.   I also read they were a high school,  is this one a WW2 vintage?   Did they train technicians for the war effort? 

sat.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 6:10 PM, Bearmon said:

I see you had one of these posted in your shots of the patches on the table.  I believe it is for the Manhattan School of Aeronautical Technology.   I also read they were a high school,  is this one a WW2 vintage?   Did they train technicians for the war effort? 

Bearmon: thanks for posting this. Going to see if I can research further. I think it is WW2 vintage or at least to early 50s. 

This is the only overall patch of this style that I have ever seen. A beauty. Merrowed edge without tail. Back is very indicative of WW2 make. 

Beechcraft 

IMG_7429.JPG.d6b2fcf383713222a8b31c06ff2b9bdd.JPG

I had this patch and was unable to ID it. Sold it as unknown victory and someone bought it yesterday and told me what it was. 

The Red Feather 

United War and Community Chest. 

276458259_ScreenShot2021-02-06at6_13_27AM.png.18acfed820d913084fe614778970cecc.png424990335_ScreenShot2021-02-06at6_13_56AM.png.df48fdd562c578611fc1f153a6167eeb.png

On 5/12/2017 at 3:02 PM, ocsfollowme said:

Finally was able to add a North American Aviation patch to the collection. These for some reason rarely ever come up on ebay.

There are several variations of this insignia with one having a "K" on the patch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Aviation

North American's follow-on to the BT-9 was the T-6 Texan trainer, of which 17,000 were built, making it the most widely used trainer ever. The twin-engine B-25 Mitchell bomber achieved fame in the Doolittle Raid and was used in all combat theaters of operation. The P-51 Mustang was initially produced for Britain as an alternative to the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, which North American had declined to produce under licence.

post-122868-0-83724100-1494619323_thumb.jpg

The NAA-K patch is from Kansas City where the B-25 bombers were built.  There is an orange and blue patch that has a T within a star.  That is the Dallas plant that building P-51s, AT-6/SNJs, and B-24s (under contact for Consolidated).  I have always assumed the one without any letter is the home factory in Burbank, CA.

benguttery, you are correct. As I collect more patches and learn new things it is hard for me to go through this thread and clean things up since I do not have any moderator rights. 

Well, on February 10, 2021....this thread became the all time viewed thread within the Home Front category!! Many thanks for viewing it!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at the Baer Field Sub-Depot patch and after several searches, I wonder if "Eng Dept" stands for Engine Department, not Engineer Depot, the section that takes care of the aircraft engines?

Larry

ocsfollowme
On 3/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, rtd_sf_eng said:

I've been looking at the Baer Field Sub-Depot patch and after several searches, I wonder if "Eng Dept" stands for Engine Department, not Engineer Depot, the section that takes care of the aircraft engines?

Larry

Larry, you very well could be right. I have seen 3-4 other sub depots, like this, that refer to engineering. But it could be engines. 

612722085_ScreenShot2021-03-15at4_02_42PM.png.af54b14f996a038019165a219fa20f94.png