Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

• 2 weeks later...

Just made it to my mailbox today.

53rd Flight Training Detachment Allied Air Forces Contract Flying School at Carlstrom Field, Florida.

post-122868-0-55351800-1442275105.jpg

A bit dirty, will clean up nicely, but was cheap.

US Navy Davisville Rhode Island Seabees mirror patch. One of the more common mirror patches for the Navy.

post-122868-0-90070300-1442502520.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own one of these, but I thought this was an interesting photograph of a Bell Aircraft Inspector.

From the photo archive site Photogrammar:

http://photogrammar.yale.edu/records/index.php?record=owi2001027357/PP

Bell Aircraft Corp. Niagara Falls, New York. Inspector on the final assembly line of Bell Airacobras

May 1943.

PhotoG 13b.jpg

Thanks for posting Gil. I grew up in Niagara Falls which is why I collect these aviation company patches since so many rubber and aircraft manufacturer patches existed there. AWESSOME photo on so many levels.

If you follow the link above, there are more photos of the employees of the Bell plant.

I've posted before that my Mother grew up on the family farm less than a mile south of Lake Ontario in Ransomville in the 1930's and 40's. As kid I was building a model one day and she absolutely shocked me by correctly identifying my project as a P-39. She told me about the Bell plant, and that she remembered they used to test the guns on targets out over the lake.

Her farm also had German POW's come out from the camp at Fort Niagara to help pick the apples at harvest time. With her brother in the South Pacific (New Guiana), it took me years to realize she had a very unique perspective on World War II.

Gil, my mother's side of the familiy founded the town of Wilson 200 years ago so my familiy is all over that area. Small world.

My mother attended Wilson High School back in the 1940's.

For as spread out as those farming communities were, it is surprising how interconnected they were.

We might be cousins!

• 2 weeks later...

Biggs Field Motor Pool (it is a fun design). I would claim the patch is between (1942-pre 9/27/47). Good chance that it would be WW2.

On 30 June 1926 the original Biggs Field was closed and Camp Owen Beirne was renamed Biggs Field.

On 27 September 1947, Biggs Army Airfield became Biggs Air Force Base with the establishment of the United States Air Force

post-122868-0-12048800-1445462389.jpg

Aberdeen Proving Grounds motor pool. Wool, no glow, heavy cotton back with newspaper and gauze for stabilizer. This is my 3rd motor pool WW2 patch. Any thoughts that this is not a WW2 patch?

post-122868-0-61367000-1445549371.jpg

I picked up a nice collection of Contract Flying School patches and aircraft manufacturer patches that I will be posting in a week. Very exciting =)