Home Front Patches

ocsfollowme

firefighter

Does anybody shave any home front patches from Korea or Vietnam? I have a big pin that has, SUPPORT OUR BOYS IN VIETNAM.Not sure if they made patches for Korea or Vietnam.

ocsfollowme

I haven't really seen any home front patches from the Korean War....but then again, I wouldn't know it if I saw it. The industrial production might of the US was not completely channeled towards the war effort as it was in WW2 (which we all know that)..so that would mean less patches? Some of the same organizations existed in WW2 so the old stock patches would have been used during the KW...so it would be hard to tell if Red Cross patch specimen "A" was only used for the KW. There may be some great books out there, but I think a good start would be looking at public records searching for organizations that were created specifically in the KW era and then searching for patches with those names. Also, helicopters were used in the KW so production companies patches are out there starting then.

For Vietnam, I have seen a ton of "make love not war" patches. However, I have only owned less than 10 Vietnam patches and this era is not my specialty. I know nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

5430542_orig.jpg

http://www.gdeb.com/about/history/centennial/eb-100yrs-11.html

During the World War I era, the company and its subsidiaries (notably Elco) built 85 submarines (via subcontractors) and 722 submarine chasers for the US Navy, and 580 80-foot motor launches for the British Royal Navy.[2] After the war, the US Navy did not order another submarine from the company until Cuttlefish in 1931.[3] During World War II, the company built 74 submarines, while Elco built nearly 400 PT boats.[4] Electric Boat ranked 77th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.[5]

ocsfollowme

4 more that I picked up. The Hawaii US Navy is in the mail system, but I wanted to put it next to it's older brother, the US Army. The Hawaiian patches have always been of interest to me, however, it is hard to tell which ones are mere souvenirs that anyone could have purchased at the time. These ones, since they are marked US Army/Navy caught my eye.

The American G.I. Forum history oddly enough, I had never heard of it until I saw this patch. Still around today.

Lastly, the 20th reunion patch of the 101st. Not sure if this one is of any value at all.

3168456_orig.jpg

ocsfollowme

This WAAC Recruiting patch was worn for 14 months before the WAAC became the WAC (15 May 1942- 1 July 1943). So a very short lived piece.

5757099_orig.jpg

• 2 months later...
ocsfollowme

Been a while since I added some more to the collection.

Spokane Army Air Depot

8585753_orig.jpg

Valley Forge Military Academy Summer Camp

4011248_orig.jpg

Great job...It good to see them all together in a group.There are many I have seen and not sure what they were...Thanks for posting.

This was probably worn on civilian employees work coveralls, shirts or jackets.(I'm referring to the Oklahoma City Air Depot patch.)

ocsfollowme

The Emergency Service Patch with the OWL is also made in a cap sized patch, I have seen them on overseas caps before

I guess that is another one that I must find now =) I've never seen the cap patch before.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea there were so many "Homefront" patches out there! Thanks for filling in a big gap in my "homefront" education!

• 2 weeks later...

May I present you with a 1942 MLB Health patch (only worn in 1942). "This was the logo of the Hale America initiative, which was basically a “Shape Up!” fitness program that arose in response to America’s entry into World War II following the bombing of Pearl Harbor." Check out the link below for the full story.

Since we entered into the War, we needed to make sure that our youth were fit enough for service so there were many programs across the nation that were geared towards this so that young adults were ready for basic training and combat.

http://www.uni-watch...merica-patches/

2156665_orig.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I grew up with my parents owning an Oldsmobile...and you know that I collect homefront patches...so I kinda had to add this to my collection.

2923571_orig.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a handful of Grumman patches. I was told by the seller, whom had a lot of Grumman items, that the felt and screen printed patches were worn by plant security guards. I know that there are other variations with one star, two star, and three stars--with different amount of bars underneath them. Regardless, these insignia are rather crudely made and most have moth nips on the edges.

2577085_orig.jpeg