WW1 shotgun soldier equipment

Macragge

Hello,

I am searching for any informations about WW1 fieldgear which was used by US soldier armed with shotgun/trenchgun. I already know about shoulder bags for ammo, but how about other stuff like for example: kind of belt (pistol or cartridge?) or secondary weapon (pistol, revoler?). Do you have any fieldmade photos of WW1 soldiers with shotguns?

thetrenchman1918

Most likely the guy with the trench gun would have a pistol belt and most likely a 1911 or 1917 revolver with the correct ammo pouch for the pistol and a 1917 bayonet as one fits on the bayonet lug of all ww1 trench guns.

I am by no means an expert but am basing this on the fact a cartridge belt would do him little good and the trench gun in ww1 is similar in roles to an smg in ww2 which would often often be issued with a side arm

El Bibliotecario

Were shotguns issued on a permanent basis, as were rifles, or were they handed out for special occasions, such as trench raids? If the latter, I'm wondering if the users would have whatever web gear, rifle belt, etc, they were normally issued. I'm not quibbling with the pistol belt theory, which is logical, I'm just curious.

thetrenchman1918

I would imagine that if handed out for a trench raid there would be no need for much equipment troops would drop what ever was not a necessity and if handed out who do you think is going to take the trench gun, the Sargent not the private, who would have a pistol belt I do suppose if a lot were handed out it would be logical that some soldiers would have a cartridge belt but its role would essentially only be to hold the bayonet scabbard on, if you look at photos of trench raiders they have the bare minimum equipment no m1910 packs or any thing like that.

Another point to bring up would be ww1 BAR belts have a built in 1911 pouch proving that the army expected to issue a secondary weapon to some one who had a squad support weapon and in ww1 a trench gun can be viewed in that same role

• 3 weeks later...

I have some of sailors from 1914 during the invasion of Veracruz, Mexico. But I believe there are no pictures of soldiers with the trench gun from WWI.