Looking for suggestions

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

Recently I've taken quite an interest in the Pacific Theater. I was wondering if anyone knows of any books pertaining to the Army in the PTO, preferably personal accounts.

"Guadalcanal Diary" by Richard Tregaskis which was written in 1943 and which inspired the film of the same name, is generally considered a classic, being written at the time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guadalcanal-Modern-Library-Richard-Tregaskis/dp/0679640231/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374905306&sr=1-1&keywords=guadalcanal+diary

Bill Sloan's book "The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa 1945". Would be a good one for you. Both Army and Marines with good personal accounts woven In to the larger story.

I listened to an audio version of "Goodbye Darkness-A Memoir of the Pacific War" by William Manchester on my last deployment. Keep in mind it's a memoir, so not just straight history...but I thought it was pretty good. Also, helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie as mentioned above and with the old breed by Eugene Sledge. Hope this helps.

- Tim

Rakkasan187

Eugene Sledge " a helmet for my pillow "

Helmet for my Pillow was written by Robert (Bob) Leckie

This is a Marine story, I believe the poster was looking for Army stories.

Leigh

littlebuddy

Eugene Sledge " a helmet for my pillow "

my bad guys !!! i have both books by Eugene sledge and Robert Leckie i got them the wrong way round !!! :blush:

sorry

Rakkasan187

I have not had t he chance to read this book yet, but it is about the Army in the PTO.

"WITH THE 41ST DIVISION IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC A FOOT SOLDIER'S STORY" by Francis B. Catanzaro ISBN: 0-253-34142-6.

I may have others in my book shelf, I will look later

Leigh

This is an outstanding book, it deals primarly with the Army's campaign in The Solomons and New Guinea, with chapters on the Australians and the Japanese thrown in, a big book with nearly 600 pages, very detailed, a must I would say for any student of military history, it can be ordered in hardcover from both Amazon or E-Bay.

post-34986-0-73203600-1375040051.jpg

"Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides about the 6th Rangers and the Cabanatuan Raid, and my personal favorite "The Ghost Mountain Boys" by James Campbell about the 126th Infantry's trek across New Guinea to take Buna, A hellish account of stamina and adversity. Also "Munda Trail" by Eric Hamill about the 43rd and 37th Infantry Divisions and the New Georgia Campaign. Scott

"Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides about the 6th Rangers and the Cabanatuan Raid, and my personal favorite "The Ghost Mountain Boys" by James Campbell about the 126th Infantry's trek across New Guinea to take Buna, A hellish account of stamina and adversity. Also "Munda Trail" by Eric Hamill about the 43rd and 37th Infantry Divisions and the New Georgia Campaign. Scott

Munda Trail was excellent Scott, I used to have that one too.

Another route is the Army Divisional Yearbook post war accounts, these are basically unimpeachable first hand accounts, taken basically from after action reports and the like, all the Divisions like those in the MTO and ETO had one done for themselves in the 1946-47 period, plus these have the added benefit of usually having full Divisional rosters, awards listings, and of course Dead and Wounded, some have unit/group photos, you know the bleacher type. Admittedly these will a little more money than you average Military History book, but they are well worth it as far as Info and research go, there are however cheaper reprints of the orginals, though I prefer only Originals whether WWII Korea or Vietnam Unit yearbooks.

hbtcoveralls

Munda Trail by Eric Hammel. story about the US Army in New Georgia. I had a friend who served in this campaign as a mortar squad in the 43rd division and he shared his copy with me and had annotated it. According to him this book is a very true account of the operation.

Tom Bowers

Cutthroats by Robert Dick

Shadows in the Jungle by Larry Alexander

Bushmasters by Anthony Arthur

Connecticut Yankee in the 8th Gurka Rifles by Scot Gilmore

Across the Dark Islands by Floyd Radike

Combat Officer by Charles Walker

Ordinace up front by Roy Dunlap

Hope this helps