WWI KIA Marine Bell Crown

MurfreesboroMemphis

MurfreesboroMemphis

I purchased a USMC 1917 pattern Bell Crown cover from a dealer a couple years ago. The cover was missing the Eagle Globe and Anchor and shows its age but I didn't have much money, so it was within my budget and a good display piece. I love the cover, its the only Bell Crown I have and I think it is one of my favorite pieces. I've tried to research it a couple of times as it is named but kept striking out and only getting a couple of hits here and there on the Marine who wore it. All I had been able to find was that he was a Cpl and was in the States in early 1917. Today I thought I'd give it another shot and once again kept hitting the same wall. Unfortunately, research isn't what I'm good at, and I started talking to fellow forum member Josh (Haditha07USMCR) about this Marine. We both agreed that there had to be more information on this guy. Well, Josh took it upon himself to figure out where I was missing the bulk of information, and as I should have expected, from a guy that is as passionate about uncovering the history of the Marine Corps and the Marines that have gone before us, he found a lot of information. I guess it helps to that he's finishing up his Masters degree in History. Josh discovered that prior to WWI he has a pretty interesting resume and then found out that he was killed on July 19th of 1918 in France. I don't have a good picture of the Bell Crown but plan to take a couple shots tomorrow and add them. For now, hopefully Josh will jump on here and give some more information on the Marine and the information he found. This is another aspect of how this hobby is so interesting; I've had this cover for a couple of years and am only now discovering the history behind it.

Semper Fi,

-Will

Haditha07USMCR

It was an honor bringing the memory of this fallen Marine back into the light. I think the devil dog Will (MurfreesboroMemphis) is exaggerating my research skills but I was able to find out a little bit on this gentlemen. The rough timeline on him is he enlists 9 april 1917 (he may have served previously in the USMC, circa 1905 but doubtful). He works his way around and eventually ends up with the 8th Regiment det. in Quantico and later with the 106th Company of the 8th at Ft. Crocket, Tx. In June of 1918, now a Sgt., is with the 97th Company 6th Regiment in France. This Marine lost his life on 19 July 1918 near Tigny, Soissons Sector, France alongside many of his fellow Marines on that bloody day. Hopefully this is just the beginning of piecing together the story of this Marine.

Semper Fi

-Josh

Nice discovery! What's this Marine's name. I have 2 file cabinets full of WWI USMC research material. Let me know if I can help add to your research.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

USMCR '98-'05

F Btry 2/14

Excellent research project. Let's see some pics of this lid and a name. Semper Fi.......Bobgee USMC/USMCR 1956-1986 3531/0302- 1/3 Okinawa 1958/59. H&S 1/23 1967/77 "older than dirt!"

MurfreesboroMemphis

Alright Gents, finally getting the pictures up. Sorry its taken so long. I've been out and about with my family this morning. I've got three pictures to post. If you want to see any different views, let me know and I'll try to get them up as quickly as possible. It's a little dusty, and I didn't have time to clean it before I snapped the pictures this morning so try not to judge me too much!

post-19889-0-20149000-1374953727.jpg

Haditha07USMCR

An awesome piece of history. Hopefully with some more research we can uncover more about Sgt. Hermann C. Seib. Thanks for pictures Will.

-Josh

Nice lid. Sgt Herman C. Seib File No. 305806 apparently re-enlisted 9 April 1917. He was serving with 97th Co, 6th Marines when he was KIA at Soissons 19 July 1918. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Wall of the Missing in the Chapel at the Aisne Cemetery at Belleau. Semper Fi......Bobgee

MurfreesboroMemphis

Bobgee, pardon my ignorance but what exactly does the File Number correspond to? I appreciate everyone's help and hopefully I can eventually get his cover fully researched. Thanks.

Semper Fi,

-Will

Bobgee, pardon my ignorance but what exactly does the File Number correspond to? I appreciate everyone's help and hopefully I can eventually get his cover fully researched. Thanks.

Semper Fi,

-Will

Back in the day the Corps didn't have service or serial numbers. They were 'file' identifiers until about 1939/40 when they became 'service numbers'. That's why you don't see early dog tags with a number on them.(AEF USMC dog tags have an 'AEF' assigned number on the reverse which I have never heard is traceable to any list, USMC or USA.) If you were to request this Marine's SRB it would be 'filed' under this number. These numbers continued to be assigned pretty chronologically until they ceased around 1971 or so.

Hope this helps.....Semper Fi......Bobgee

Herman Conrad Seib was born Sept. 1, 1879 and enlisted initially August 24, 1899. His file number was 81118

Looks like he was aboard the USS Helena which spent time off coast of the Philippines. He was present for the Spanish evacuation of Jolo, an island in the Philippines. He was also in Shanghai and aboard the USS New Orleans which served as flag ship for the Cruiser squadron of the Asiatic fleet. By Early 1903 he was with H Co. of the 1st Regiment in Cavite, Philippines. By the end of 1903 he was aboard the USS Dixie with F Co. 2nd Battalion 2nd Marines as part of the Caribbean squadron where the Dixie served in the canal zone. In early 1904 Seib was serving in the canal zone. Looks like he came back to NY Navy Yard by the end of the year. There are gaps in the muster rolls but he pops up in 1907 at the NY. Navy yard as a Sgt.. By the outbreak of WWI he was with Co. D of the Texas Naval Militia and was pulled into active service with the Marine Corps as a Pvt. By April 1918 he was assigned to the 145th Replacement Co. 3rd Replacement battalion in Quantico and sailed for France aboard the Henderson. He joined the 97th Co. June 12, 1918 when the company was in reserve after the 3rd Bn 6th Marines had been relieved at Bouresches and were in a in the line near La Voi du Chatel during the battle of Belleau Wood. He was back into the woods June 21, 1918 just behind 3rd Bn 5th Marines who were sent into capture the northern part of the woods. The 3rd Bn 6th Marines which included 82nd 83rd, 84th and 97th Companies were under withering artillery fire during their time in the woods and suffered several casualties. During the offensive near Soissons begining July 18, 1918, Seib and the 97th Company assaulted enemy positions near Tigny the following day and Seib was killed instantly by artillery fire near the village of Tigny. Muster roll states "Blown to pieces and no remains left to bury." He was 38 years old. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Below is a link to an ebay auction that has a page from the Midweek pictorial that has a photo of him. The Midweek pictorial featured weekly images of fallen troops from overseas and his was one depicted. You cannot make it out from the image provided but he is one of the several images on this page being auctioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-I-Honor-Roll-of-Veterans-Genealogy-no-26-/230189989963

Let me clarify my previous statement the number his service record at NPRC in St. Louis if filed under is 81118. As Bobgee pointed out 305806 is the AEF service number and there is no known traceable list of these numbers. 81118 is the number under which his service file would appear at NPRC in St. Louis, sorry I did not make that clear. These numbers are able to be found via the NARA datebase.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

MurfreesboroMemphis

Kevin,

That's some great information! I had the bits and pieces but hadn't been able to put it together so well. I also grabbed up the picture of him. I figure that has to be something I would never be able to find if I were looking for it. Seib had a very interesting career and I've enjoyed reading about it. Thanks for all the help.

Semper Fi,

-Wll

MurfreesboroMemphis

DevilDog34,

Where did you locate Mr. Seib's birthdate? As I've been researching the cover I've had difficulty nailing down his birthdate as there were 2 or 3 men with the same name born between 1878-1880 and I was just curious as to where you found that information as I feel like I must have overlooked something. Thanks for the incredible information thus far. I really want to fully and accurately research this cover and this Marine as the cover is one of my favorite items and most importantly due to the ultimate sacrifice this man made for our country. Seib seems to be a Germanic name and I would like to know when his family came to the United States, if it came be determined that he was of German ancestry, as he was killed fighting the Germans. I feel that it adds something extra to this Marines story.

Semper Fi,

-Will

I got it through the NARA database that I have access to. I know its the right guy because of the RG (record group match to RG 127= records of the Marine Corps). Also it had his service or file number.

MurfreesboroMemphis

I received the magazine clipping with the picture of Sgt. Seib and thought I'd post it for everyone to see.

Semper Fi,

-Will

post-19889-0-44038200-1375913443.jpg

Haditha07USMCR

Thanks for posting and keeping the Marine's memory alive. It is incredible that the cover in your possesion is very likely the very one in this picture.

-Josh

• 1 year later...
MurfreesboroMemphis

Gents,

I wanted to add something to this post today as it is the 97th anniversary of this Marines death. May we never forget.

Semper Fidelis,

Will

post-19889-0-27674300-1437334516.jpg

Hey Will,

This is a great thread revealing the preservation of the vet's story to go with the historic piece! They don't all have such a storybook finish as the photo turning up of the man in the bell cap- how cool is that outcome!! I really am inspired to pursue more of the research to see if more such stories an be preserved!!

Thanks to all the participants for pursing and sharing this process!!

David