IRAK 2003-2004 Delta + SAS

asquad

Not really my cup of tea. Having served in Iraq in 2003 I am not going to say what is too soon or appropriate but for me it just makes me uncomfortable. Not so much because of the war, but because there are grown men playing Army for the camera and its not a movie. That being said, I like to watch a Civil War or WWII re-enactment and really have nothing against the average re-enactor, my oldest son is one. So while I can't put my finger on the issue, I will just stick with it makes me feel weird.

I will say that it looks like a lot of work went into producing this and the uniforms and equipment are nice as is the photography, so good job there guys! I will cast my lot with those who don't like the use of the flag as I believe in the proper use and display of our colors. So for me a well thought out scene that just doesn't do much in the way of exciting me. A better way to support these guys is to sell the stuff and donate the money to the families of the fallen. Scott.

Thanks for all your feedbacks, very interesting for us. We do care a lot. I can tell you that many group of people all around europe/world, try to reenact todays US units that we admire all. Of course some do the same for their own country's units, but some like US units much better. You have to think that some of your units fascinate a lot of people all around the world in a good way.

It might sounds odd to you, but like 25 years ago there's not much way to communicate those events. But todays things and infos circulate so fast and we think may be as French, we can manage a little bit more stand back than you can have. BUT this does not make us blind or a little bit unconcerned ( because this is not our country's unit), that's reversed: we want to show a way of supporting those actions. May be this way is not a traditional one, for sure.

I can assure you, that we try our best to make it as serious as possible and not treat those subjects lightly. When I see these pictures, I don't think it looks so much fun; realistic yes but not fun: may be that's what can make people uncomfortable and we can understand it.

These has to be seen more of a spiritual support and can also show you, americans, that some people all around the world do cares about global situation and support your actions. And more over, it makes more sense because we are a french group.

EDIT: we are planning to reenact older events: like Acid Gambit...and much more

OK, guys I have held my tongue on this one, but I am going to speak up.

I think most of you have been very hard on these guys, WAAAAAAY too hard, IMHO.

I admire what they have done. They have given a glimpse of how an operation goes down, much more so than any operator would ever be allowed (or should be allowed) to give (do not get me started about Zero Dark 30). Photos like these of an Op will rarely ever be released.

If you are an Operator, it is a weird feeling to see folks PLAYING what you do, or did, for real. I know firsthand as there is a reenactment unit in Czech Republic which reenacts a unit in which I served (no I am not going to talk about my unit) and it was a little weird the first time I visited their website. BUT when I stopped to think about it, I was more than a little humbled that someone (ANYONE?) would think enough of the stuff I lived, to want to play it out as history, to me it was just what I did for my country. I also realised that these folks are doing this in places where these wars are NOT terribly popular, and these folks admire my unit for doing our job at the time, just as these folks obviously admire the folks in DELTA and the SAS and have worked long and hard to express that admiration.

I think we all need to stop and think; would we feel more comfortable hanging out with this lot of fellows, or the crazed buggers down the road who are using American flags to light their Barbecues? I know I would feel better having a pint or cuppa with these guys.

Now for the hard part; we have all lost someone we knew in the past 20 years (plus) in the profession, and we all have a few scars (some seen. some not) and it does bring back memories for some of us to see this. BUT would you rather no one be interested for a generation or two?

Would you feel better if folks like this viewed us as "baby killers" or "war criminals" ?

I doubt that or you would not be here.

I do not consider this "Stolen Valour", whatever that means anymore, or bad taste. In fact I am impressed by the quality I am seeing.

As for them joining in, who knows? Some may, or may have and come home?

I do not believe any of the harshest critics bothered to ask?

I did and I still go out and play, as do many of my younger friends in uniform.

I admire what they have done. They have given a glimpse of how an operation goes down, much more so than any operator would ever be allowed (or should be allowed) to give (do not get me started about Zero Dark 30). Photos like these of an Op will rarely ever be released.

If you are an Operator, it is a weird feeling to see folks PLAYING what you do, or did, for real. I know firsthand as there is a reenactment unit in Czech Republic which reenacts a unit in which I served (no I am not going to talk about my unit) and it was a little weird the first time I visited their website. BUT when I stopped to think about it, I was more than a little humbled that someone (ANYONE?) would think enough of the stuff I lived, to want to play it out as history, to me it was just what I did for my country. I also realised that these folks are doing this in places where these wars are NOT terribly popular, and these folks admire my unit for doing our job at the time, just as these folks obviously admire the folks in DELTA and the SAS and have worked long and hard to express that admiration.

I think we all need to stop and think; would we feel more comfortable hanging out with this lot of fellows, or the crazed buggers down the road who are using American flags to light their Barbecues? I know I would feel better having a pint or cuppa with these guys.

Now for the hard part; we have all lost someone we knew in the past 20 years (plus) in the profession, and we all have a few scars (some seen. some not) and it does bring back memories for some of us to see this. BUT would you rather no one be interested for a generation or two?

Would you feel better if folks like this viewed us as "baby killers" or "war criminals" ?

I do not consider this "Stolen Valour", whatever that means anymore, or bad taste. In fact I am impressed by the quality I am seeing.

Well said

As to the comment that these guys are too old "being in their late twenties", I turned 47 in Iraq. And no I was not a "fobbit" I was outside the wire on a near daily basis. Nor was I the oldest guy in my unit. These wars were not just a young mans game.

My opinion is like most of the rest, too soon. The difference is that none of us could have been in the Civil War or Korea or WW II, or even Viet Nam for that matter. But we still have troops in Afghanistan. I understand that these folks are not U.S. citizens so serving in our military in Iraq was really not an option. If you were there it was not a game. I used to reenact but I stopped after I returned from Iraq. I have no issue with anyone who reenacts, its just not for me anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

personally I like it... i like the work of PORTAYING a mission... showing what they can show about Delta (being so secretive)...

I'm looking at the details work not at the stolen valor ect ect ect...(Since we are from Europe we cannot steal anything)

• 3 months later...
Wow! I am a bit surprised at the back blast on this impression? I retired from the active duty military, and I see this impression no different than someone doing an SS or USMC historical impression. I suppose it's all about the old saying of "it depends on who's OX is getting gored"? We all understand the need to be as historically correct as possible in our displays and impressions. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say, we have put a lifetime into our collections. As well, as an incredible amount of money into them, therefore we respect the work others have put into their impressions. I certainly cannot say to someone they can't be offended by something they see, however all I would ask; is take a breath before they say something that could be mistaken for something that might come out quite how they wanted or intended it too. From the spelling, I am guessing that English is not their first language, I also have no idea on their backgrounds ? Maybe some of them are vets? Just my opinion...

I understand that opinions will differ on any given subject so I won't try to change anyone's mind, but to me it seems apparent that the photo shoot was intended to honor the heroism and sacrifice of Americans and their allies by non-US citizens outside the US who have no particular obligation to do so. As an American I appreciate the gesture. In any case, how is this well-intentioned effort more offensive than Hollywood depictions of war that often cast the military in a negative light?

Nicely put.

I understand that opinions will differ on any given subject so I won't try to change anyone's mind, but to me it seems apparent that the photo shoot was intended to honor the heroism and sacrifice of Americans and their allies by non-US citizens outside the US who have no particular obligation to do so. As an American I appreciate the gesture. In any case, how is this well-intentioned effort more offensive than Hollywood depictions of war that often cast the military in a negative light?

I agree fully. I wasn't surprised at all at the comments as they rolled in, because people get a little defensive for some reason on this point (heck, I hear it all the time said to WW2 re-enactors!). I served, and I have zero problem with it, given the context. I marvelled at all the detail they put into this.