Paint Removal - Boonie Cap

TLHSS

I recently purchased this cap belonging to General David Thomas from the forum. I love the cap ... even though it was worn at one time during a painting project.

Based on the historic career of the owner of the cap, I really wanted to attempt a restoration. But I chickened out, and sent the hat to a textile restorer and conservationist. First time I've ever done this. I think the results were pretty good (my photos are not the greatest) ....

Before:

post-2144-0-23931100-1374807398.jpg

The older I get, the more I look at things and say "I could do that... maybe..." and then think about hiring someone who knows what they are doing.

In this case I'd say it paid off.

Done improperly, it could have been easily messed up forever.

That is the first boonie I have seen with an embroidered General Officer's star. Thanks for sharing.

RustyCanteen

The older I get, the more I look at things and say "I could do that... maybe..." and then think about hiring someone who knows what they are doing.

It definitely paid off. There is no "un-do" button in life and an attempt to do something outside your skill level could result in trashing the piece more than it was to begin with.

Awesome! I'm glad it got the attention it needed. Prior to selling it, I debated about doing the same thing but chickened out as well.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

They did a nice job!

For what it's worth, I've had some luck putting an ammo belt with paint droppings on it into the deep freeze for a couple hours. Then I've taken it out and chipped off the paint. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. How successful you are depends on whether the paint was pretty much on the surface (good) or whether it soaked into the material (bad).

Kim