Longoskawayan Point, Bataan

VeeVee

On vacation trips to the Philippines to visit family, I usually visit or hike battle fields in Bataan to explore, research and satisfy the Bataan history nut in me. One of the places I explored recently, along with some WW2 history buff friends, was Longoskawayan Point. It was one of the contested areas in what is known as the Battle of the Points.

Big picture background from official US Army history: http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/5-2/5-2_17.htm#p300

In a nutshell a battalion of Japanese landed at Longoskawayan by mistake during the campaign ,after being separated from a larger landing group. A collection of US naval, air corps and marine provisional unit contained them but could not eradicate the Japanese. They called in a battalion of Philippine Scouts who were trained infantry and had recently seen action in the Abucay/Mabatang line. The Scouts drove the Japanese off and wiped them out. The giant coast artillery mortars from Corregidor also helped with artillery bombardment.

I personally know one of the Scouts who fought there. He is 94 years old and is living in the Seattle area. He was a sergeant in E Company, 2nd Battalion, 57th Infantry. The very battalion that was called in to expel the Japanese. I told him I’d explore the place and send him some pictures.

View of Mariveles on our hike to Longoskawayan

longo_hike1.jpg

Photo of me on the hike in. Hornos Point in the background. Behind me leads to Naiklec Point (the two parallel promontories south of Longoskawayan)

longo_hike2.jpg

This was our jump off point to descend into Longoskawayan by the western slope of Mt. Mauakis. It was private property but I had pre-contacted the owner. There was a nipa hut gazebo overlooking the point.

longo_hike3.jpg

One of my companions, a retired US Navy guy who lives in Subic and a Vietnam vet. He was fit and left us guys 30 years younger always trying to catch up with him.

longo_hike49.jpg

longo_hike5.jpg

The kind of terrain we picked our way through to get down.

longo_hike6.jpg

Me resting a bit after we reached the bottom. At this point the heat had made a dent on my energy. It was HOT.

longo_hike9.jpg

longo_hike37.jpg

longo_hike10.jpg

The water looked very inviting down there.

longo_hike47.jpg

Zoomed in a bit so it looks close, but we were much higher in elevation than the picture suggests. There was a somebody’s boat tied up at the bottom.

longo_hike41.jpg

Looking back up to where we came from.

longo_hike7.jpg

Around the place where I was resting, I looked down and immediately noticed these 30.06 shells.

longoskawayan_relics4.jpg

This was roughly halfway to the point.

longo_hike11.jpg

Picking my way up the slope, I noticed a .50 tracer slug on the ground

longoskawayan_relics5.jpg

I keep looking back where we came from

longo_hike14.jpg

I finally caught up with everyone resting under the big shade tree. This was about 80-85% of the way through to the point.

longo_hike17.jpg

Another view of the tree.

longo_hike13.jpg

Looking north is Lapiay point.

longo_hike34.jpg

Finally reached the end. Resorted to using a handkerchief to cover nape from the sun

longo_hike18.jpg

Another .50 slug near the cliff edge area of the point

longoskawayan_relics6.jpg

Dug out something that looked like the neck of an old container

longo_hike33.jpg

Looking down at the bottom

longo_hike25.jpg

Made my way down a bit to see cliff better

longo_hike22.jpg

longo_hike23.jpg

longo_hike38.jpg

longo_hike35.jpg

Looking up

longo_hike39.jpg

Needed to get back up this slope after taking pictures of the cliff face

longo_hike36.jpg

Went back to the shade tree to rest and get more water. My hiking buddies coming back to the tree from the cliff edge. I zoomed in a picture of them as they walked back.

longo_hike32.jpg

Gathering up some relics we found on the ground to take pictures of them

longo_hike16.jpg

My friend, Hiker/Explorer Extraordinaire, waiting for the rest of us to summon the energy for the trek back.

longo_hike15.jpg

On the walk back… I was almost out of water and had to bum some from everybody. I didn't eat much lunch under the tree when we rested because it required more water to wash down. Water was the key currency for this activity. I can't imagine how the guys on the death march survived with very little. I’m used to walking miles in the US but the July heat that day drained my energy like no other.

longo_hike28.jpg

Traces of battle we found lying on the ground even after all these years.

longoskawayan_relics7.jpg

longoskawayan_relics3.jpg

longoskawayan_relics8.jpg

longoskawayan_relics.jpg

Trying to identify head stamps. The ones I could decipher were FA 40 and FA 41 (Frankford Arsenal 1940, 1941 manufacture)

head_stamps1.jpg

head_stamps2.jpg

head_stamps3.jpg

head_stamps4.jpg

Japanese first aid kit bottle

longoskawayan_relics10.jpg

My Phil. Scout friend Capt. Nick Golla (left), who fought in this very location in January 1942. I emailed him some of the pictures and he was blown away by them. I still have to call and tell him all about the trip.

NickGolla-AgustinLacao.jpg

RustyCanteen

Thank you for posting this! (Nice photos too)

I see at least one FA 28 & FA 32 .30-06 case in there.

Wow, that must have been an amazing trip! Thank you for taking the time to take and then post the pictures.

Backtheattack

Must be a great trip in history. Thank`s for the pics, and for the background information. Good to have a background because the Pacific is only a little part of interest.

• 2 years later...

Great topic.

Would like to add one of Nick Golla's service photos from when he was a Company Commander in the 6th Inf Div, Ft Ord 1955.

post-34986-0-14412700-1459564747.jpg